Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

newbie question

Hi Ashley,

FWIW, I teach astronomy to hundreds every year, and my workhorse scope that everyone learns on is the classic 150mm, f/8 dob. Rugged, light, sets up in minutes, easy enough for anyone to operate and great views. I have more than a dozen of these babies in service on three campuses, some have more than a dozen years of service (with teens using them every day, no less!) and they all work like new.

You can go up to a 200 or even 250mm dob, but you should really see these in person before you pull the trigger and buy one - the increase in mass and bulk is really something as you get just a bit bigger aperture. Moreover, in light polluted skies, a 6" does just about as well as a larger scope - in dark skies, however, the larger scope will clearly leave the others in the dust! If there is a local shop where you can see them in person - or better yet, make a trip to the local astro club and maybe see the scopes in person and talk to the owners. Your decision will be more informed, and you will be less likely to be unsatisfied with what you get later. :)

Don't forget to budget for a extra eyepiece or two (a 32-40mm for deep sky, and maybe a high-power 7-10mm for planetary and lunar work.) You will also need a moon filter (it is WAY too bright in a big scope for comfortable viewing!), an eyepiece case and a planisphere or star map to start out. A red LED flashlight is a good idea, too. Figure between $100 - $150 for these altogether.

A possible upgrade you may wish to consider is an "intelligent" dob with a computer on it. These can be easily aligned, and then help you point the scope and find objects in the sky to look at. Very helpful, but it takes a bit of learning before you will be comfortable with it. This option is about $200 in the US.

I hope that helps,

Dan

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I stick to that famous rule... APERTURE IS KING! It's, plain, it's simple, it's true :)

My 10" outperforms my 120mm frac on EVERYTHING, yes even planets and doubles.

Matt

I have to disagree with Matt on two technical points:

1. Aperture is king only when optical quality is similar. A super-premium refractor can produce views than a reflector of double the aperture can not match. The faultless optical path with no obstructions and proper baffling delivers contrast and image quality that no compound optical device can match.

2. Aperture is king when you can easily lift, transport, and assemble it. I've always found that the easiest scope to use gets used more often; and I've seen many people over the years who have purchased "too much scope" for their back and biceps - and then the scope goes to waste.

All things considered, most people don't have the money (or opportunity) to purchase a refractor like mine. It is a specialty scope that is designed for lunar and planetary work above everything else. It is no surprise that this single-purpose 'sports car' of a scope does better at what it does best than a general purpose scope.

For someone starting out and drooling over "more aperture!" - I really recommend going out to the local club and spending an evening with one of these big scopes. Folks at most clubs will be happy to take you on as an observing buddy for the evening, and you can see first hand what it takes to transport, carry, and set up a big scope... and probably will talk your ear off about their wonderful kit! :p

"Try it before you buy it", and "Talk to the man who owns one" are still both good mottoes to remember when deciding on a big (physically and financially!) purchase.

Just my two cents worth!

Dan

hey guys thanks for all the advice! cant thank you all enough, as mentioned my main choice is lunar observing with an intention to do webcam planetary imaging (not DSO as a totally different EXPENSIVE ball game haha) think im gona have to take a look through a good refrac and mak then make my decision :)

I have to disagree with Matt on two technical points:

1. Aperture is king only when optical quality is similar. A super-premium refractor can produce views than a reflector of double the aperture can not match. The faultless optical path with no obstructions and proper baffling delivers contrast and image quality that no compound optical device can match.

2. Aperture is king when you can easily lift, transport, and assemble it. I've always found that the easiest scope to use gets used more often; and I've seen many people over the years who have purchased "too much scope" for their back and biceps - and then the scope goes to waste.

All things considered, most people don't have the money (or opportunity) to purchase a refractor like mine. It is a specialty scope that is designed for lunar and planetary work above everything else. It is no surprise that this single-purpose 'sports car' of a scope does better at what it does best than a general purpose scope.

For someone starting out and drooling over "more aperture!" - I really recommend going out to the local club and spending an evening with one of these big scopes. Folks at most clubs will be happy to take you on as an observing buddy for the evening, and you can see first hand what it takes to transport, carry, and set up a big scope... and probably will talk your ear off about their wonderful kit! :)

"Try it before you buy it", and "Talk to the man who owns one" are still both good mottoes to remember when deciding on a big (physically and financially!) purchase.

Just my two cents worth!

Dan

I couldn't agree more I have a nexstar 5 and there are plenty of better scopes out there, but not for me. I want portability, apparture, go to, optics and affordability nothing else ticks all those boxes for me. consequently for me it's the best scope there is. Before people jump on their high horse, I am not saying it is the best scope there is just that it's the best scope there is for me, nothing else ticks all the boxes. The trick to choosing the right scope is to find the right boxes to tick, the boxes that suit your needs

• 5 months later...

hello im new to all this my son who is 9 and myself am building our 1st telescope and im looking for any help i can get we am looking to build a 12in scope if any one knows where we can get the mirrors from cheap please let me know .

we have not got alot of money so we are after all the help we can get even if you can give us some info we live in west bromwich by birmingham dose anyone know any good club we can join .

i have been interested in this from when i was a child now my son is i want to give him the best start i can ......................

Archived