Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PHD Guiding and directly over head

I've finally beat the guiding gremlins after what seemed like an eternity (although it took just 2 sessions as they were spread over months).

I can easily get 10mins+ on most areas.

However, when guiding from over head (like on M51) PHD cannot guide effectively.

The scope is super balanced and the polar alignment is spot on (aligned to mount and EQMod to get it in the right place). Although, maybe drift alignment will sort it fully?

Does anyone know of any tips on this issue?

When you say 'super balanced' I think having it slightly unbalanced helps keep the gear train in mesh.

My guiding in DEC does suffer when imaging overhead, but not to the extent that stars start to look like eggs though.

Perfect balance is bad... you'll end up wallowing in the backlash I used to use small (4mm) diameter shock cord bungees to make small adjustments the weight bias on the scope...

Right, so weighted so the mount is always leaned into it's direction slightly? Eliminating backlash?

I'm going to play tonight again if it's not too windy.

Last night was full cloudy but I stayed out all night peaking through the rare gaps. Imagining was impossible but a lot was sorted in that session :D

Archived