Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skytee 2 Alt-Az Mount on Photo Tripod

johninderby

Another installment in the Skytee-2 saga :D

Although I am pleased with the Skytee 2 Alt-Az mount on an HEQ5 pillar I wanted to try it on a good heavy duty photo tripod for a more grab'n'go setup.

I already had a nice solid Manfrotto 475 tripod, but the only problem is that it has a 3/8" fitting and the Skytee 2 has an M10 connection. After looking around I found that Berlebach in Germany makes 3/8 to M10 adaptor that allows you to fit any standard astro mount such as an EQ5 or Skytee 2 to a photo tripod. You simply screw the adaptor onto the bottom of the Skytee 2 mount and then screw it down onto the tripod.

I've tested it with my solar observing setup (Lunt60 Ha & TS80/480APO) and it's really solid with virtually instantaneous settle down times if you tap one f the scopes.

I've also briefly tested it with a 6" f/8 newt and the TS80 APO and it's still good, although vibration settle down times are a few seconds. While the vibrations are settling down they are a slow speed oscillation that doesn't really interfere too much with observing.

So overall the combination of the Skytee 2 and Manfrotto 475 tripod really works. The solar setup can easily be carried outside fully set-up and ready to go so it meets my definition of grab'n'go. Or of course it would easily handle a 4" or 5" refractor and still be grab'n'go. :rolleyes:

John

I was looking at the adapter to mount my Giro III on my Giotos 9730 photo tripod.

The Giro has the Vixen EQ5/HEQ5 fitting. Do you think, with the bit that has the M10 thread in it sticking out 2 cm it would fit the adapter?

post-19015-133877562495_thumb.jpg

I was looking at the adapter to mount my Giro III on my Giotos 9730 photo tripod.

The Giro has the Vixen EQ5/HEQ5 fitting. Do you think, with the bit that has the M10 thread in it sticking out 2 cm it would fit the adapter?

I think it should fit but I'll check the dimensions of the adaptor and let you know tomorrow. :D

John

Here's a rough sketch of the adaptor.

John

• 6 months later...

What is the name of the adaptor that fits on top of the M10 as I gonna order the tripod and the SkyTee-2 mount and what else would I need as I wanna house a Skywatcher 127 Mak on this and later on a Skywatcher small shorttube refractor. What is the name of the supplier that stocks the adaptor. Many Thanks :D

Does that Berleback adaptor fit on to the SkyTee-2 and would I be able to fit both on any camera tripod. I have a 127 Mak and would that be OK to fit and will this set up be able to cope with the weight of a 127 Mak OTA!

Yes the adaptor will fit onto the photo tripod which then allows any mount with an EQ5 type fitting (EQ5, Skytee 2 etc.) to fit. However with the Skytee 2 you will need a heavy duty photo tripod, at least a load capacity of 12kg. Should be OK with a small 127 OTA.

Please note though that while it will work OK it won't be quite as solid as a proper astro tripod.

John

• 10 years later...

Yeah that’s quite a dig up!!! But I thought the title was perfect. 

question is simple: what photo tripod would you recommend for a skytee 2? I already have a manfrotto element which is I believe given for an 8kg charge. Not enough I think  

would be for a C8. Thx

I use the same tripod as the OP from 11 years ago did/does, a Manfrotto 475/475B or 058/058B.  I picked them up used for $75 and $150, respectively.  Check for the older Bogen numbers as well, 3036/3236 and 3051/3251, respectively, to save even more money.  You might save a bundle on them.  The black versions are cooler looking, but the silver versions are generally cheaper on the used market.

I like the variable angle spreaders on them so I can level them without extending the leg sections.  I always observe sitting down, so height isn't an issue.  I also like the cranked elevator for changing eyepiece height between horizon and zenith observing.  The 26 pound capacity is nice when I have my DSV-2B, 90mm APO, and 127 Mak all together on it.  Add in 2" diagonals and either ES-92 eyepieces or binoviewers, and the weight adds up pretty quickly.  I'm pushing the limit of what that elevator can handle.

I'd like to get a Bogen 3058/3258 or Manfrotto 161MK2/161MK2B for their 44 pound capacity.  I have no idea how today's flimsy photo tripods can claim 33 pound capacity as in the case of the Sirui AM 284.  That's 7 pounds more than the Manfrotto 475.  Can a 3.5 pound carbon fiber tripod really be that much stronger than a 9.5 pound aluminum tripod?