1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

New Equipment

Hi all,

It'll soon be my birthday, and so will be a good time to stock up on new equipment that I can ordinarily not afford off my own back. I'm still a novice, having been in the business for only a few months now. I am currently using a Celestron Astromaster 70AZ with 20mm and 10mm eyepieces.

I was wondering if anyone might be able to suggest (and if possible tell me where to find online!) a decent Barlow lense (x2 or x3) to improve my magnification and any decent eyepieces for plantiary viewing that would fit my scope?

Alternatively if any experts could suggest some decent pieces of equipment that would be handy for a beginner please let me know!

Thank you for your help, really is appreciated!

Hello,

From one novice to another I would not go for more than a 2x barlow as with your 10mm eyepiece you will be looking at approx 180x magnification which is pretty much the limitation of your kit.

I would be tempted to suggest looking at eyepieces around 7mm which would give you 129x which when using the 50x the aperture in inches equation means that your (approx) 3 inch telescope 150x is about the max you can manage.

At this magnification the gas giants and also the moon are great targets.

Other useful things I found were a good book. I was recommended the book "turn Left at Orion"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turn-Left-Orion-Hundred-Telescope/dp/0521781906

This book is perfect for people who own scopes of this size (me included)

Edited by MjrTom