Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Mav359

How red should red be????

Hello peeps

In order to save my night vision from my I-phone, i-pad, laptop and torch I have started to red filter them all.

I have bought red cellophane that the florists used, is great, easy work with and it's cheap. It is however quite thin, so multiple layers I hear you cry, again easy and it works great but .....

How thick or dark does a red filter need to be??? Is just to the point where my dark vision remains fine??? How do I know that will be good enough if I rock up to a field but it isn't good enough for everyone else....

Thoughts please

As a rule of thumb, I would say make them as thick (dark) as you can and still be able to read the display. The less extraneous light (red or otherwise) around the better.

You need to completely exclude all light shorter in wavelength than 640 nm ... that's a fairly deep red filter, about equivalent to the Wratten #29. Even then keep the intensity as low as possible.

When imaging I am condemned to suffer the presence of a computer screen. When doing visual, all such nonsense is banned! Paper, dim red torch, no gadgets.

Olly