Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Pakmoto

Does our solar system have a name?

It seems strange that I can't find a name for our solar system, we have names for other systems!

The name is solar taken from the name for our sun Sol, technically the correct name for other systems is planetary system

Edited by rowan46

The name is solar taken from the name for our sun Sol, technically the correct name for other systems is planetary system

it's like an interplanetary version of the old 'Hoover' or 'Vacuum Cleaner' debate!

I thought solar systems were usually named after the star in their centre, such as the Gliese 581 System, so shouldn't this be the Sol System?

Edited by peteuplink

I have researched this before and discovered the name for our system is actually "Uwareere"

Mel

I thought it was the Sol system. If this were Star Trek, Earth would be Sol 3 :D

hi,

our sun is called sol so our system is called "the SOLar system". i think thats right anyway.

It's called "the solar system".

They're all called 'something' solar system....

So ours must be called 'The'. :D

How long will it be before it becomes known as "The solar system in association with McDonalds - Im lovin' it! "

Edited by zcapp96

If games are anything to go by, I think in Elite/Frontier it was called the Sol System.

Queue The Blue Danube...

just wait till we meet aliens ....will we follow there names of planets ...or will they have to change there entire library of names to suit our needs lol

just wait till we meet aliens ....will we follow there names of planets ...

1. We won't be able to pronounce them, or understand what they're talking about.

2. In any case, the names will all have changed many times before the issue needs to be addressed.

I'm pretty certain aliens would think of out system as something similar to Compton. West Side till I die

1. We won't be able to pronounce them, or understand what they're talking about.

2. In any case, the names will all have changed many times before the issue needs to be addressed.

We could always see if Patrick is still in touch with this guy! :p

YouTube - Can You Speak Venusian?

:)

Edited by Jimmy Stix

All aliens speak English so we would understand them very easilly. (Well they did on Star Trek anyway). :)

All aliens speak English so we would understand them very easilly. (Well they did on Star Trek anyway). :)

IIRC the Klingons spoke Klingon as well (or Klingonese in an early show).

I guess the sound recordist had a Babel fish in his ear ... :p

...which reminds me of the Senator who allegedly said, 'If English is good enough for Jesus Christ it's good enough for me.'

... or the Archbishop recorded in Hansard as saying of the newly published Gulliver's Travels, 'For my part, I don't believe a word of it.'

I wonder why we use the adjectival form of 'sun' (solar) for our own system but the noun form of others. We are a funny lot.

Olly