Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing log

Hello everyone soon to be ordering my beast in the next few weeks and was just wondering if any of you keep a log of what you observe?

Im bit of a newbie so was wondering what kind of information do you put in your logs?

Would be good to know thanks

Hi frankie, check out the Observing sub forum were the reports are very helpfull, gives a good idea what is worth recording when your out there, which is pretty much anything you can see :D, logs are great as they show you how far you have come when you read an old one as compared to something very recent :rolleyes:

Hi frankie, check out the Observing sub forum were the reports are very helpfull, gives a good idea what is worth recording when your out there, which is pretty much anything you can see :D, logs are great as they show you how far you have come when you read an old one as compared to something very recent :rolleyes:

I totally agree. I have been logging stuff in the distant past, and when I started getting more active recently, I was so pleased with my old logs (starting 1978). I started keeping new logs since I went Messier hunting, and it is very useful. I also note objects I did not find or were marginal, so I can plan to look for them again under better conditions. Sharing your observations on the Observing report section of SGL is also great fun, as you can get and give advice on neat objects to observe. I spotted several galaxies because of reports or tips of others. There is very much to see beyond the Messier list, even with modest instruments, and even as a newbie.

Cheers

Archived