sgl_imaging_challenge_6_banner_jupiter_2021.jpg.eacb9f0c2f90fdaafda890646b3fc199.jpg

Lunar X for the 1st time

JonH

I remembervreadingbabout this some time ago, tried a few times, but from what I recall, the conditions of illumination have to be JUST right. I might have another go at it myself.

Now would be a very good time to see it...

Thanks for the heads-up. Shot out to have a look on reading your post. I've not seen it before, apart from accidentally imaging it a couple of years ago without realising.

Can't believe I've not seen this before- it's so obvious tonight. Just done a bit of googling, and it seems that conditions for viewing last around 4 hours each lunation, so that may explain it.

My kids were impressed (albeit mildly), but my wife didn't get it.

Thanks for the heads up anyway.

what could possible have made this lunar x ?

It's just a fairly random landform that just looks like this on certain illuminations. Here's a view of the same area under different illumination (not one of my pics), and it just disappears.

p.s. I saw the face too, but didn't like to say for fear of being branded a wierdo conspiracy theorist! Mt. Rushmore?

post-16549-133877561963_thumb.jpg

Edited by lukebl

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, you should know by now that X marks the spot...

Here are my predicted start times for observing the Lunar X illumination using 1.2 sun alt over crater Werner as the parameter:

January 12 0012 UT

February 10 1526 UT

March 12 0543 UT

April 10 1837 UT

May 10 0610 UT

June 8 1642 UT

July 8 0247 UT

August 6 1305 UT

September 5 0012 UT

October 4 1232 UT

November 3 0214 UT

December 2 1704 UT