Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

seeing supernovas

Ursa Major

Hello,

I see some people on the forum have seen supernovas. They have obviously been seen in other galaxies (or the people seeing them are a few hundred years old).

Is it easy to see them? how bright are they? how often do visible ones occur?

Thank you

I've seen 2. The 1st (in 30 years in the hobby !) was at the SGL4 Star Party in 2009 and we used a 12" dobsonian and my 13mm Ethos eyepiece. The latest (sn2011b) was earlier this year which I managed to pick up from my back garden, 1st with my 10" newtonian and a couple of nights later with my 6" refractor. Both of these were in the region of magnitude 12.5 or a little dimmer but, once located they were quite distinct, glimmering as a tiny point of light in their home galaxies. I have to say that seeing these with my own eye were some of my best moments in the hobby :D

If one goes off in a near by galaxy like the andromeda galaxy then i reckon that would be quite bright.

I just read on another web page that:

"There are about 30-40 billiion spiral galaxies in this universe alone much like our own galaxy, which means there are upwards of a billion of these things a year.

Alternatively, that's about 1 supernova every ~2ish seconds:eek:.

Impressive!"

Thats really weird to think.

Archived