sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Show us Your Solar Observing Set-Up

johninderby

It's great to see some of the various solar observing set-ups that people have come up with :p

The solar projection set-up has set me to thinking. I've got some 1/4 inch ply that would do. All I need is a chaep OTA off eBay or perhaps an objective from one of those scientific supply places and I've got an old crayford focuser that would do, Hmm :)

John

The solar projection set-up has set me to thinking. I've got some 1/4 inch ply that would do. All I need is a chaep OTA off eBay or perhaps an objective from one of those scientific supply places and I've got an old crayford focuser that would do, Hmm :p

John

Indeed, me too.

Already been looking at some of the £0.99 4inch refractors, collection only types on eBay, thinking that'll make a good start.... :)

Cheers

Ian

Indeed, me too.

Already been looking at some of the £0.99 4inch refractors, collection only types on eBay, thinking that'll make a good start.... :)

Cheers

Ian

How about this.

Mounted 50MM AIR SPACED OBJECTIVE, 600MM FL £16.00 Free postage

http://www.astrophoto.co.uk/surplusobjectives.php

They also do a lot of bigger lenses. :p

John

How about this.

Mounted 50MM AIR SPACED OBJECTIVE, 600MM FL £16.00 Free postage

http://www.astrophoto.co.uk/surplusobjectives.php

They also do a lot of bigger lenses. :)

John

Oooo, I like. Good find John.

Might actually be better off doing it that way than some cheap scope off eBay. More chance of getting a quality rig. Well optically anyway (you haven't seen my DIY :p).

Cheers

Ian

With my Flowerpot projector I just went for very basic focussing in that the front element is a "push fit" and can be moved in and out. The eyepiece is in a fixed position - and is actually inside the plywood casing - so you focus by watching the screen and adjusting the front lens.

It may be simple - and for a quick job it's fine - but if doing it again I would definitely incorporate a proper focuser.

Although great for group viewing and really safe as you cannot physically get your eye to the eyepiece because of the screen holder, the main drawback is the huge drop off in performance with any haze etc...At a public event I sat it alongside a tal 4" which was projecting onto a sceen. They both produced pleasing images of the disk with sunspots clearly visible, but when some haze developed, the image in the flowerpot degraded far more than the projected image - not surprising, I know. Some better back projection material would help.

I still like it though and have no regrets at having made it.

Edited by runoffshed

• 2 weeks later...

After much deliberating I decided to take the plunge and get into solar observing now the summer's coming and the time for nighttime astronomy is becoming ever shorter. I spent weeks comparing reviews of the PST, SolarMax II series and Lunts offerings but finally settled on a Solarview 50. After using it for the first time this afternoon I can say that it's simply stunning. It gives a brilliantly bright, clear image and is well worth the money. The case it comes in is pretty cool too and putting it all together makes it feel a bit like a meccano set or something.

Here is a photo of it on my EQ5 mount with a William Optics 1.25" diagonal and Televue 15mm Plossl eyepiece.

Note that my dog is also a keen solar observer and often commandeers my 'observing chair'!

post-21478-133877596317_thumb.jpg

post-21478-133877596326_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Keep trying Kev you'll get there eventually...

Although if it takes you more than three goes you might face the sack...

I just bunged an Orion Glass solar filter on the front of the ETX105... I'd forgotten how clunky that old scope was... a 32mm series 4000 Possl fits the full disc in the FOV

Might just try a green filter on the EP...

Billy...

Edited by Psychobilly

Coming in a bit late here - keep forgetting to make pics!

My ED120 is very versatile, thanks to a hacksaw!! :D

I chopped off 90mm from the tube to facilitate observing in Hydrogen α. This allows the etalon to sit 200mm inside the focus point, without having to remove the main ED120 focuser each time. The whole assembly slips into the main focuser like a 2" diagonal.

Simply changing over the front filters and switching the etalon assembly for a diagonal allows me to switch between Hα and white light. The views are fantastic in both arrangements. Faculae and granulation very clear in white light, and prominences show very fine structure in Hα - the aperture makes a big difference to the PST.

For Hα, the set-up is:

- 110mm Baader C-ERF in custom cell

- ED120

- PST etalon with PST-2" adaptor

- Coronado BF10

And for white light:

- Full aperture Baader AstroSolar film in AE cell (Sol-Vu)

- Antares diagonal

- Solar continuum filter for improved granulation/faculae and red filter for improved spot detail.

(I don't need a Herschel wedge! :))

Pic 1: The ED120/HEQ5 in Hα mode on my outdoor pier/table. The telescope can happily live on there permanently under a T365 cover.

Pic 2: ED120 in White Light mode: note Hα set-up waiting patiently on the table!

Pic 3: The C-ERF in its very nicely made custom cell.

Pic 4: The rear assembly for Hα.

Andrew

P.S. By the way, the ED120 is still perfectly suitable for ordinary applications, and makes a fantastic scope for imaging or observing pretty much anything!

post-13113-133877597478_thumb.jpg

post-13113-133877597486_thumb.jpg

post-13113-133877597495_thumb.jpg

post-13113-133877597502_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew*

This is a pic of my solar set up.

Yes it's a pair of PST's on a platform that makes them HA binoculars.

You might note that one of them is double stacked for increaed surface detail. Incuidentally with this et up you get to view surface detail and prominences at the same time due to your brain merging the images...

That's really clever. I have a feeling that prolonged viewing might give me a headache, but I'd definitely like to try it and see the effect.

That's really clever. I have a feeling that prolonged viewing might give me a headache, but I'd definitely like to try it and see the effect.

Hi fatwoul

It's the exact opposite that happens with these, the longer you look the more relaxed you get when not having to clench shut the other eye as you would with a mono set up, which is what gives me a headache when viewing...

If you're clenching your non-observing eye then you're doing it wrong. Better to cover it with an eyepatch or even leave it open and train the brain to ignore the image.......