Narrowband

A night of faint fuzzies...

m_j_lyons

Saturday night was beautiful! No clouds, light breeze, not too cold (at least at sunset). After putting the kids to bed I kissed my bride and told her not to wait up - I'm heading to my dark spot and will be back before 11pm.

New Old Failed

Once there I decided to give my eyes time to adjust to the dark so I spent about 20 minutes in M46 trying to see the planetary nebula NGC2438 - tried as I may - I never could pick it out. I tried at 25x, 75x, and 150x...no luck. A few hints but nothing I'd really say WAS the PN. I don't think the moon was helping much either...I could see my shadow from the moon's glow.

Next I decided to jump back to galaxies and spun the scope to the pair M81 and M82. These I found without issue...popped out nicely like I expected from this location. Moon washed out a little but they were very prominent in the scope at 25x (15mm).

Next over to the Leo Triplet - the skyglow from the suburbs of Sacramento was prominent in this direction (SW)...the light dome was up to about 30-40 degrees. Luckily Leo/Virgo/etc were pretty high in the sky. After jumping down from Chertan I parked on that mag 7 star in the center of the triplet and M65 and M66 were faintly visible. Having seen them before on the other side of the sky (away from the light domes) I know they my seeing was greatly diminished from LP and the moon. Knowing where NGC3628 sits allowed me to patiently wait for my averted vision to pick it out as a faint, elongated haze.

Given the mediocre viewing of the triplet I wasn't sure what to expect as I moved over to Virgo.

I started at the left upper arm of Virgo (Vinemiatrix) and started star hopping towards M59. I got lost in the stars but anchored myself in a prominent 1/2 circle asterism of stars with 33 Vir at the top. From there up to the 3 prominent mag 4.8 - 6.9 stars that hold rho Vir and 27 Vir. They pointed the way to 3 roughly mag 9 stars with M59 and M60 visible on the other side. M60 was the brighter of the pair. Making a triangle pointed back towards the mag 9 line of stars was another faint fuzzy that held the touch of fuzziness not found in a single mag 11 star...so I'm willing to say that it must have been NGC4638. I could clearly make out a few faint stars that show as mag 11 so I'm pretty confident that I was seeing 4638 with averted vision (cool!).

Next I moved over for M58 but despite numerous star hops I was unable to definitely declare a find. I'm guessing I was seeing it but not knowing it. I spent a frustratingly long amount of time trying to find this one. I then started heading towards what should be M87 and found this fuzzy. I was fairly bright...about like M59 was. It was prominent next to a mag 8 star. The more sparse patch of sky to the E of my FOV also helped pin down the ID. On the other side of that patch of darkness was another faint fuzzy - M90. I could see it decently with averted vision...but not directly. No sign of M89 - but once again I was likely looking at it but didn't know it. M90 appeared as a slightly elongated patch of light oriented along a faint double row of stars that started in the direction of M89 and stopped right about at M90.

Going further S in my FOV I picked out two even more faint fuzzies and I'm willing to put money out that they were M84 and brighter from my scope - M86. Neither showed as more than a patch of fuzz. To my NE FOV I picked out one more fuzz patch ... not the eyes...but I think NGC4473. I spent a good bit of time going around in the area and just got more frustrated that it wasn't darker (the moon was still just over my shoulder). But I guess being able to pick out mag 11 stuff occasionally with my 4.5 inch scope means conditions were pretty good.

For the record - during my journey around the Virgo Cluster I lost track of time and didn't get home till almost midnight...bet you've never done that before.

Good night overall - I'll need to get back there when Virgo is higher in the sky and the moon is not visible.

Final talley - 6 new messier objects logged...two more NGCs...and a better knowledge of the layout of the Virgo Cluster.

Heart beat skipper of the night...something running through the vegetation of the field I was nearby - must have been a group of deer - but in the dark with enough moonlight to leave shadows the imagination was more concerned about a rogue bear or a hungry coyote pack or something...what ever it was - it was making a lot of noise.

Very nice report. I was out on saturday as well viewing the virgo cluster for the first time. Its amazing how many galaxies you can see at once.

I also lost track of time and finished at 3am. Admittedly i did stat and 1am. 2 hours just slipped away in no time at all. Time certainly does go quickly when your having fun.

Enjoyable read and a great report. you must have had some nice conditions out there, I like how you have shown what your targets were and how you faired with them :hello2:

I too get a little shuffle in the garden from time to time whilst I'm absorbed at the scope and it still does get to me on occasion but I know its only one of the hedgehogs dropping by :rolleyes: not a chance of a bear :D

Archived