Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ascom Help

Hi all,

I think my handset was playing up last night. It kept pointing the scope to the ground (yes I did get co-ordinates etc right!) and it kept jamming every time I used the direction controls. It slewed OK when attempting star align, except for thinking it was in the southern hemisphere! :D

I was told to get ascom to control the scope from the laptop to eliminate any possibility it might be the motor.

How do I download and use ascom? What's the name of the type of lead I'll need?

Alexxx

I have an HEQ5 Pro mount, and I did check the clutches. By the end I think I'd checked even nonsensical stuff! Still to no avail. I tried again this morning and it's still the same.

An error message also comes up from time to time and I have to unplug and plug in the handset to get the thing to at least set up. It says, 'No link to M.C stand-alone mode.' I'll have to check in my manual to see if there is anything, if I can find it!

Any ideas?

Here's a link to the ASCOM site ASCOM Initiative , you should be able to download it from the links there.

But I don't think it will help, all ASCOM does is provide an interface between applications and your scope, the problem you describe seems to be something to do with wour HC or mount. This would still be used.

Maybe they meant EQMOD or EQMOD-ASCOM, this is an application that replaces your HC and controls the scope by sending commands directly to the mount from the PC. I don't have a link for that but it should be easy to search for.

Chris

Alex,

You need an EQDIR module:

Cables, Leads and Controllers - HitecAstro EQDIR adapter

This operates from your pc usb port. This effectively replaces the handset, this will protect your mount from voltage surges etc. This is actually a serial device but the Hitech unit contains a usb-serial converter.

To enable this to work you will need ASCOM, which can be found from the link you already have (thi needs to be loaded on first), and the software to control the mount (known as EQMOD), which can be found from the EQMOD link on the FLO page link above. You get a substantial manual with the software (and it's all free).

Steve

Thanks guys. I'm still not succeeding. The ASCOM site seems inaccessible. The ASCOM Platform link on the EQMOD Project site leads to a series of links and never gets to a Webpage. So I can't download it first.

My friend sent me some software but nothing seems to work (I'm not techie so forgive me!). I've attached screenshots of what I've downloaded. I try to get EQMOD up but one panel of it keeps flahing on and off. Weird.

I'm getting frustred and desperate now!

I can't understand how it could be my mount (she says hopefully) as it slews fine; it's just the direction keys that won't work.

Can someone help with getting the software downloaded?

post-14350-133877560929_thumb.jpg

post-14350-133877560934_thumb.jpg

post-14350-133877560938_thumb.jpg

Alex,

As per my previous post, you do need Ascom first (the site does seem to be down at the moment). This is taken direct from the EQMOD website:

In order to use the EQMOD software you will need:

You are at great danger of blowing your mount without the interface attached (this can be a eqdir module or a cable from your handset to the mount).

The script start eqascom will be initiated by whatever software you will be using to control the mound (maximDl for example), but it wont work without the ASCOM platform pre-installed.

Steve

And this is what flashes up when I click on the EQASCOM_Run file. I have to reboot to get rid of it!

Not having much fun here.

Well, I tried to upload from URL for Photobucket and it came up with 'Invalid file'. AAARRRGGGHHH!

I give up! :D:hello2::rolleyes:

Alex,

As per my previous post, you do need Ascom first (the site does seem to be down at the moment). This is taken direct from the EQMOD website:

In order to use the EQMOD software you will need:

You are at great danger of blowing your mount without the interface attached (this can be a eqdir module or a cable from your handset to the mount).

The script start eqascom will be initiated by whatever software you will be using to control the mound (maximDl for example), but it wont work without the ASCOM platform pre-installed.

Steve

Thanks for all your help guys, but I'm getting confused here. I don't want to blow my mount. I have no techie ability and I'm bound to make a mistake.

I'm giving up!

Alex, did you download the Ascom Platform version 5, followed by the update Version 5.5.

------------

(Do not use version 4.1. it's for Windows 2000.) Although that is explained on the page.

Here's the Link to the files you need.

http://ascom-standards.org/Downloads/Index.htm

As Steve said, do not connect to your mount without the EQDIR, or HiTecAstro device in the Mounts Hand controller port.

Sorry, I appear to be a bil late on the scene :D.

Ron.

Where do you live Alex, perhaps someone near you can pop over and sort this for you.?

The sw my friend supplied me seemed to be V5. It said: ASCOMPlatform5b.msi. And there was also update sw: ASCOMPlatform5.5.1.exe which I downloaded second.

If you look at the screenshots you'll see all the files I got from the downloads.

Even though I'm not techie, I've never had this much trouble with downloads before. I always manage to sort problems.

I think I need one-to-one help here as I only understand 50% of what people have posted!

Going back a few steps, without the EQ-Direct hardware that interfaces between the laptop and mount then no amount of software will control the mount.

Have you got one and used it to connect between the laptop usb and directly into the 9 pin serial port on the mount?

for CdCdownload the 32 bit or 64 bit version from here http://www.ap-i.net/skychart/en/download

dont worry about the extra star catalogues until you have the system working

Thanks guys, you're trying so hard to help, but I've mentally shut down. My dyspraxia makes me too muddled with lots of info. I'll wait until there's another star party and get face-to-face instruction. I think I've got everything downloaded now.

I'll ask FLO what the problem could be with my handset and mount and what that error message is. I'm used to the handset so will stay with that for the time being.

Thanks a lot for trying to get me through this!

XXXXX

Archived