sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

C thread tap and die?

Ant

I'm looking for a C thread tap and die set?

I have a OAG and anyone with an OAG will know that it is a pic to get the guide cam and main cam focused at the same time.

This is especially a nightmare for me when I change from one filter to another that are not parfocal.

The focus adjustment on the guide cam is a very coarse affair - so what I was thinking of doing was making a locking washer. So that I cam use the C Thread as a kind of Helical focuser, using the locking washer to ensure that the guide camera doesn't turn in because it isn't tight.

So two questions really...

1. Where can I get a tap and die set for the C thread. Or what is the technical specification for this thread so that I can go on a search..?

2. How thin could the locking washer be 1/2mm, 1mm?

Cheers

Ant

Nice one Ken.

T2 Konterring zur exakten Abstandsbestimmung - nur 1mm dünn

One of these for the T thread part of the system - might actually work as it's the main camera that I have adjusted at the moment...

I only thought about adjusting using the guide cam as the male C thread is longer than the male T thread.

Maybe I could do with both :D

Cheers

Ant

To get the camera to focus on the spectroscope I'm finding that the TS adaptor TST2Vvar and a TST2We - which effectively give you a combined helical focuser with a 360 degree rotator, to be very good.

A T thread is 0.75mm pitch, so a 1/4 of a turn gives you 0.18 mm movement - we can get the camera position within 0.1mm which for spectroscopy is ideal.

C thread spec is 1" x 32 TPI...

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/faq/industrial.htm#qu4

C-Mount is a camera / lens standard that is commonly found on CCD/CMOS Digital Cameras as well as 16mm film cameras. The C-mount specification has several dimensions associated with it:

Mounting Thread = 1 inch x 32 tpi UN 2A

Length of Lens Thread = 3.8mm

Lens Flange Focal Distance = 17.52mm

Camera Depth (C-Mount Face to Image) = 17.52mm

The above dimensions are employed by all C-Mount lens manufacturers as well as all C-Mount camera manufacturers in order for any lens and camera combination to image properly.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/1-X-32TPI-TAP-UNS-HSS-/160208823258

Edited by Psychobilly

Ant

Don't understand mate, why do you need to refocus the guide-cam (DMK?) when you change filters?

The focus of the main camera needs to be changed between filters (or no filter) - albeit very slightly. This means that the guide cam is then not focused...

A bloke I spoke to at Kelling wondered the same - he surmised that it might be because it's a refractor?!?

Thanks for the link Peter!

Ant

The focus of the main camera needs to be changed between filters (or no filter) - albeit very slightly. This means that the guide cam is then not focused...

Ant

AH OK.

I don't refocus the guide cam between filter changes and I have the same OAG and main cam as you...

Maxim doesn't (usually!!!) have a problem with guiding on a slightly de-focussed star - does PHD?

For guiding you don't need to be perfectly focussed - in fact Terry at SX recommended the guide star being out of focus as it's easier for the software to get the centroid and is less affected by seeing.

Helen

AH OK.

I don't refocus the guide cam between filter changes and I have the same OAG and main cam as you...

Maxim doesn't (usually!!!) have a problem with guiding on a slightly de-focussed star - does PHD?

Do you both have the same filters though?

I believe some are parfocal for different wavelengths, others require refocusing....not sure which do what though.

but yes I've found better success with a softly focused guide star.

Hi

I used to run a Security Co and we fitted CCTV camera and I still have a few C/CS mount adaptors laying around if you want any to try and have them machined down to make the thin locking nuts you have talked about then by all means i will send you a couple, But at the thickness you mentioned it would only make it about 1.3 Threads Per mm

Andy