1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

noob going to try to capture saturn tonight any advice greatly accepted

right guys i am gonna try capture saturn tonight (weather permitting lol ).i am using a celestron nexstar 127 mak slt goto with a spc880 unflashed (to complicated for me) just wondering if there is anything i could do to improve my chances of a decent pic would coloured filters help etc.

although a total noob i have managed a few shots of the moon (bit dissapointed i cant get the whole moon even crescent in the shot) but still pleased with the fact i can capture anything lol.

sorry for the long winded post but any advice greatly appreciated :D

Here are some typical SharpCap settings - in fact I used these settings to image Saturn on Friday :D

[Philips SPC 900NC PC Camera]

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=10.00

Colour Space / Compression=YUY2

Exposure=-6

Brightness=64

Contrast=31

Saturation=0

Gamma=0

ColorEnable=255

BacklightCompensation=0

Gain=49

The main ones you'll need to adjust are the Gain and Exposure, typically you want to keep the gain as low as possible to reduce noise. Just have a play with the settings and see what comes out best for you... the good things is that these get recoreded in a text file when you record the avi so you don't have to try and ermember what you used for each one.

Good hunting!

roger

I assume you've managed to view Saturn already - if not - just look for her for a bit & enjoy.

Connect your webcam (put the gain up to maximum - just to find & ensure it's in view on your screen - then put the gain back down before imaging

tried a few pics of saturn and they were rubbish so i thought oh well i am gonna have to flash it think i messed it up :p am gutted dont seem to have any cam now any ideas guys or is it all over for my cam :):mad:

tried a few pics of saturn and they were rubbish so i thought oh well i am gonna have to flash it think i messed it up :p am gutted dont seem to have any cam now any ideas guys or is it all over for my cam :):mad:

I am broadly assuming you have the toucam pro camera thigny, which is essentially a neximage. (otherway round i know i know)

did you use the following link? How do I set RAW modes and long exposures with NexImage?

if not, try following the steps under 'modifying the settings'

if you did use that link, have you got a back up you can restore to? If you do not, i have a default settings .bin file you could perhaps utilise as a last resort (tho if it is the same as the neximage, itl b fine)

ps - i see youre in hemel hempstead - im in bovingdon, what are the odds!

let me know you get on

seems i have not saved original config so wcrmac doesnt even know anything is plugged in now :) any ideas guys or is it the end for this cam

if you private message me your email i will send the default settings file. tho mi not quite sure how u would use it. il have a think on that, there must be a way of bringing it back to life

in fact i think i know how to fix it :>

in wcrmac, under the binaries section, theres an option to 'load into cam'.. so plug ur cam in, its not recognised, then click on the load into cam, find the file i send u, and with a bit of luck it shld b ok!! i reckon itl work after that