SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Who or what inspired you and why?

meteoriot

This might sound weird but my interest stems from my interest in Dinosaurs and their cease of existence. It was the Asteroid impact that got my interest sparked. That was in my early teens.

Astronomy started peeking my interest as to what was/is out there. It wasn't until roughly a month ago that I finally broke down and bought my 1st telescope, one that I still regret buying. Will be getting a 12" Dob after my wife has her surgery done at the end of this month so I hope on getting heavy into it

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have only started to enjoy astronomy since Prof. Brian Cox has shown the Wonders of the Solar System and Wonders of the Universe, since i first watched the show back in March 2010 I have found my self wanting to learn more and more, I started by watching more documentaries, watching The Sky at Night, and reading books, finally just last week I brought myself a SkyWatcher 130m and have started to look at some of the things that have kept me captivated with my own eyes, and no matter who is on T.V. showing these gorgeous sights, nothing compares to seeing them with your own eyes.

I think it was the typhoo tea cards "the race into space the series was called" My dad worked at the factory in birmingham and used to bring home lots of tea card sets but it was this set and the gemini and apollo missions that fascinated me most.

My physics teacher once said I would never be able to do physics at University. I was always interested about all things spacey so I though who cares what he thinks and promptly applied to do Physics with Astrophysics at the university of York. 4 years later and I start teaching physics in September and have been able to use top notch technology at University and now have my own scope.

My physics teacher once said I would never be able to do physics at University. I was always interested about all things spacey so I though who cares what he thinks and promptly applied to do Physics with Astrophysics at the university of York. 4 years later and I start teaching physics in September and have been able to use top notch technology at University and now have my own scope.

Nice Job in proving him wrong. :D and congrats on the new job

I had a fascination with the sky as a kid but I have to say that I would be one of those that jumped on the bandwagon thanks to Brian Cox. Once he explained things so I understood and knew what I would be able to see I was hooked. Sir Patrick Moore is a legend too. He has forgotton as much as I know I'm sure.

I honestly can't remember my trigger!

It could have been through sci-fi books, film, TV or 'The Sky at Night'...

May have been the Pioneer and Voyager probes - I was a kid in 1970's - 'Blakes 7' etc.

Sir Patrick may have been a strong influence. I met him when I was eight and he signed one of his books for me...

Living on a narrowboat a few years ago, I happened to hear a report that a meteor shower was expected that night, so decided to have a look. (Didn't realise at the time how lucky I was!!) Moored in the midddle of nowhere, wonderful dark, clear sky....ended up laying on top of the boat for hours, with me pillow and a duvet 'ahh..ing' at dozens of meteors streaking through the sky. Marvellous!! (My heart gets racy even now just remembering that night.)

I've been hooked ever since.

Have just moved into a new home with my own garden, so now get the chance to have my very first telescope, hoping to spot new delights that have so far eluded me.

( I just wish I still had the boat!! Most nights the milky way was visible......just didn't appreciate it at the time!!:D )

I was born in 1969 so caught the tail end of the Apollo legacy with SkyLab and the Apollo-Soyuz project. Spent childhood years living in Suffolk near Mildenhall which had the SR71 spy-plane based there. Regulary seeing a virtual space-plane flying low over the house is enough to get any small boy into a raving froth. Combined with a healthy dose of Patrick Moore and Carl Sagan I was on the slippery slope to a 60mm Tasco and ultimately a 6" newtonian by my late teens.

Unfortunately, astronomy fell by the wayside (other than studying some astronomy and planetary science for my degree) for the next 20 years, until Brian Cox gave me a kick up the backside in January with Stargazing Live.

More than half a century ago whilst reading a book on space and space exploration I remember reading the immortal line 'man will never walk on the moon'. In my early to mid teens I purchased a small 2" telescope having watched a new programme on the television... The Sky at Night. the programme was compared by a rather 'funny' if not eccentric man a certain Patrick Moore. A few years later I sat up all night watching on TV the impossible... men walking on the moon.

It wasn't until many, many years later that I finally returned to looking back up at the night sky, this time through a 6" reflector. I have to say not much has changed up there, but an awful lot has down here!

I was inspired by watching 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century'... in particular Twiki and

Dr. Theopolis. I was captivated by Dr. Theopolis's logic and reason. I managed to grow a Twiki haircut at school and continued to be an avid fan of the series.

I also enjoyed Colonel Wilma Deering, played by Erin Gray. She provided me with enough material for my first solo sexual experience.

Cheers !

Was dredged up under very dark African skies, so the stars were always there for me. Used to read Dan Dare in the Eagle, then there was Sputnik, then when I was abut 9, I read Hoyle's "The Black Cloud" -- became fascinated and all teh ingrdients were there to get me hooked. By the time I was 14, my dad had upgraded his 8x30s for a superb Zeiss 10x50....

I was inspired by watching 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century'... in particular Twiki and

Dr. Theopolis. I was captivated by Dr. Theopolis's logic and reason. I managed to grow a Twiki haircut at school and continued to be an avid fan of the series.

I also enjoyed Colonel Wilma Deering, played by Erin Gray. She provided me with enough material for my first solo sexual experience.

Cheers !

Cheers !

:)

Ive always had an interest in the stars - I remember asking for a telescope when I was about 6. I was given a bright red Tasco - the views were'nt great and I lost interest quickly. At 19 my girlfriend brought me a similar 'department store' refractor, again the views were less than impressive. I spent my time reading books and watching all the TV Space documentaries to keep me interested in the subject. 6 months ago I decided to invest in a decent scope. I saved about £300 and convinced my wife the money was worth spending, Last month I purchased a 6' Reflector and some good eyepieces.

Now I am hooked, the lesson - Buy a good scope!!!!!!!!

I've been interested in this since I was little and started to learn space and that in school and when I went to college and did science! So I thought it was about time I got out there and start doing it!

I wish I had learnt more on the subject at school. Watching a ping pong ball on a lollipop go round a light bulb wasn't quite enough to inspire me at the time but I certainly wish It had.

Heather Couper initially when she did that TV series in the late 70s/early 80s. Then Sir Pat' (had dinner with him once) and a very good physics teacher at school.

Eventually did a degree in Astrophysics and stayed interested for 20 odd years.

Archived