Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron CG5 mount

I got one of these on here the other day, for a little grab-n-go set-up to play around with....i've just been sitting here playing with it and I noticed you can't level the mount in order to use a wixey to set an accurate lattitude....the lowest it seems to go is probably around 25 degrees off the horizon.......how do people get around that, or am I missing something obvious?...like does removing the screws completely give you more room to play with, so you can set it that way?

You use the extending legs to level the mount. remove the mount level the tripod with the leg extensions, replace the mount and clamp it all down. job done. You then use the Dec screws to set your latitude, If you live in the UK thats about 51/52 degrees.

If you are trying to use the DEC screws to set zero on the scale you would need to live on the Equater

You use the extending legs to level the mount. remove the mount level the tripod with the leg extensions, replace the mount and clamp it all down. job done. You then use the Dec screws to set your latitude, If you live in the UK thats about 51/52 degrees.

If you are trying to use the DEC screws to set zero on the scale you would need to live on the Equater

Thanks, what I meant was though is that I don't trust the lattitude scale on it (or on any mount for that matter)....so I want to set it to zero using a wixey, then set my lattitude from there....but it doesn't go back that far, it stops at about 25degrees....just wondered if I need to remove the screws to get it back further? or if there's another trick i've missed?

A Wixey is a great tool but not really needed with an EQ mount. You can level the mount by adjusting the legs - there should be a spirit bubble on the tripod - if not use a standard spirit level. Point a leg due north (use the one with the little metal block sticking up from the top of the tripod).

Put the mount on with the AZ bolts either side of the metal block so the mount points north too. Raise the altitude to your latitude on earth for an approximate setting. Now you are roughly in the right orientation.

Add on the scope and set it parallel to the mount. Ensure the finder is aligned with the main tube. Now all you need to do is adjust the az bolts and the lattitude bolts till you see polaris in the finder. Pop in a 25mm eyepiece (or similar) and repeat the adjustment till polaris is centered in the ep. Readjust the finder to center polaris in that as well.

Now you can unlock the RA and Dec clutches and go find an object. Lock the clutches and track away in RA (with the odd tweak in Dec). No further alt/az adjustment is required :D

A Wixey is a great tool but not really needed with an EQ mount. You can level the mount by adjusting the legs - there should be a spirit bubble on the tripod - if not use a standard spirit level. Point a leg due north (use the one with the little metal block sticking up from the top of the tripod).

Put the mount on with the AZ bolts either side of the metal block so the mount points north too. Raise the altitude to your latitude on earth for an approximate setting. Now you are roughly in the right orientation.

Add on the scope and set it parallel to the mount. Ensure the finder is aligned with the main tube. Now all you need to do is adjust the az bolts and the lattitude bolts till you see polaris in the finder. Pop in a 25mm eyepiece (or similar) and repeat the adjustment till polaris is centered in the ep. Readjust the finder to center polaris in that as well.

Now you can unlock the RA and Dec clutches and go find an object. Lock the clutches and track away in RA (with the odd tweak in Dec). No further alt/az adjustment is required :D

Thanks aswell :rolleyes: ...when i'm setting the lattitude on my HEQ5 i can level the mount to zero degrees using a spirit level, put my wixy on and then adjust to 52 degrees (ish) from there.........but the CG5 doesn't allow you to level the head to zero, it stops at about 25 degrees....that was what I was trying to work around? does that make sense?

Yep that makes sense Chris. I have the CG5 which also doesn't level to zero. To be honest I don't think they're meant to and it isn't really necessary so long as the tripod is level the mount will follow.

However - you can set the Wixey to zero on any surface you know to be flat and level (eg a kitchen worktop or anything levelled with say a builders spirit level).

Then stick it to the scope for altitude settings. Level/horizontal is still zero degrees on anything. And you can use that to level the tripod too :D

Are you attempting an accurate setting for imaging by any chance?

Yep that makes sense Chris. I have the CG5 which also doesn't level to zero. To be honest I don't think they're meant to and it isn't really necessary so long as the tripod is level the mount will follow.

However - you can set the Wixey to zero on any surface you know to be flat and level (eg a kitchen worktop or anything levelled with say a builders spirit level).

Then stick it to the scope for altitude settings. Level/horizontal is still zero degrees on anything. And you can use that to level the tripod too :D

Excellent point....It never even crossed my mind to level the wixey on something else first....saves a whole lot of winding those lattitude bolts endlessly for no good reason lol....I can't believe I didn't think of that lol

Thank you :rolleyes:

Are you attempting an accurate setting for imaging by any chance?

Yes and no....it'll have cameras on more then anything, but not for serious imaging, just playing about really (plus a grab-n'go for a bit of visual when i can't be bothered to set the HEQ5 up)....but I do like to know everything is accurate before I start...

Yeah - the bolts are a softer metal than I would prefer - constant winding especially against the weights can wear out the threads or bend the bolts. They're only meant for small amounts of movement really.

For increased accuracy (now the levelling is sorted lol) you should fit a polar scope and line up polaris so it's in the small circle on the circumference of the larger central circle. An illuminated one is best if you can stretch to it. That'll put you bang on the pole star and account for the 1 or 2 degrees natural error (the pole star isn't exactly north relative to earths axis due to earths wobble). :D

Yeah - the bolts are a softer metal than I would prefer - constant winding especially against the weights can wear out the threads or bend the bolts. They're only meant for small amounts of movement really.

For increased accuracy (now the levelling is sorted lol) you should fit a polar scope and line up polaris so it's in the small circle on the circumference of the larger central circle. An illuminated one is best if you can stretch to it. That'll put you bang on the pole star and account for the 1 or 2 degrees natural error (the pole star isn't exactly north relative to earths axis due to earths wobble). :D

It has a polar scope...and I have a portable illuminator that will fit on it a treat....as you can tell this mount hasn't been used in anger yet, I was just playing around with it in the living room....hence wondering about the latitude bolts.....the only improvement I need to make for what I want to do is add motors for tracking...which i'm trying to source at the moment....it's a nice little mount though, i'm pleased with it, it's a lot more manageable then the heq5 anyway, so will get more use because of it's ease of use...

Agreed - it's a smashing little mount and very grab and go - I'm on the verge of upgrading to the goto version for ap. I have the RA and Dec motors fitted - got them from FLO for £93 the pair (may have gone up since the budget).

Skywatcher - Dual-Axis D.C. Motor Drive for EQ5

These are the SW EQ5 motors but the mount is identical to the CG5 except for the badging. Ring FLO first to double check if you're unsure - but they fit mine and work a treat :D

Agreed - it's a smashing little mount and very grab and go - I'm on the verge of upgrading to the goto version for ap. I have the RA and Dec motors fitted - got them from FLO for £93 the pair (may have gone up since the budget).

Skywatcher - Dual-Axis D.C. Motor Drive for EQ5

These are the SW EQ5 motors but the mount is identical to the CG5 except for the badging. Ring FLO first to double check if you're unsure - but they fit mine and work a treat :D

I had no idea the mounts were identical except for the badging.....so it didn't realise those motors would fit....i'll give them a ring on monday and order some.....thanks for the info you've been very helpful! :rolleyes:

I want the goto controller for my Heq5, I have the eq mod adaptor but my laptop isn't up to it.....but now you've got me thinking about upgrading the laptop to handle eqmod for the heq5, and spending the money I was going to spend on the controller on getting the CG5 upto goto standard instead.....what goto controller do you need for the CG5? i'm assuming it isn't the same as the heq and neq ones....because I didn't think the eq5 (and thereby CG5) could run off those!

Chris, I may be quite wrong but you are not trying to set the mount up in alt azimuth here? An equatorial has one axis pointing at (or nearly at) Polaris. I say this because I can't see why you would want a Wixey. If this thought is way off beam I'm sorry.

Olly

Chris, I may be quite wrong but you are not trying to set the mount up in alt azimuth here? An equatorial has one axis pointing at (or nearly at) Polaris. I say this because I can't see why you would want a Wixey. If this thought is way off beam I'm sorry.

Olly

Hello Olly,

It's more so I can work out just how far off the latitude scale is on the side of the mount (because it will be off, they always are lol).....I can't always be bothered, or have the time to polar align, I just want to know i'm at an accurate latitude, pointing north, and away I go......depends what i'm doing I guess....but knowing where the accurate latitude setting should be on the dial, is always handy to know, well for me anyway.....hence checking with the wixey!

There is a goto upgrade for the CG5 but I've no experience of it. I think FLO may carry it but it's quite expensive as I recall (which is why I'm getting the full CG5GT goto) and selling my motorised CG5. :D

I recall FLO posted a while back that the CG5 is the EQ5 with heavy duty bearings on both axes. If I'm not mistaken the EQ5 is rated for 9kgs and the CG5 for 11 or 12kgs.

If you fit EQ5 motors, does that prevent the noise CG5s are known for?

Should point out that the motors FLO sells for £90 odd are not the goto and if you want goto you will have to buy the EQ5 pro upgrade instead for around £300

Yeah I noticed that, hence not bothering with the goto...I will just get the motors for tracking and leave it at that. :D

There is a mod for the ordinary tracking motor handset on the CG5. If you ain't afraid of a bit of soldering you can add some cabling to the handset that makes it controllable from a computer with EQmod - effectively giving a goto setup. I'll see if I can find it for you. :D

I recall FLO posted a while back that the CG5 is the EQ5 with heavy duty bearings on both axes. If I'm not mistaken the EQ5 is rated for 9kgs and the CG5 for 11 or 12kgs.

If you fit EQ5 motors, does that prevent the noise CG5s are known for?

I have no idea tbh Ags, the CG5 is completely new to me...so i'm learning as I go so to speak..

There is a mod for the ordinary tracking motor handset on the CG5. If you ain't afraid of a bit of soldering you can add some cabling to the handset that makes it controllable from a computer with EQmod - effectively giving a goto setup. I'll see if I can find it for you. :D

I'll be interested to see that, thanks! :rolleyes: ...I don't mind a bit of soldering etc...although it must be said that me and EqMod haven't exactly got on very well so far lol

Hmmm.... not quite what I thought. The thing I was thinking of was an autoguiding port for dual axis motors. The article is here:

http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/eq_mod.pdf

Not exactly goto but but might be useful or give you some ideas.

That's a handy little mod, cheap and easy to do as well - thanks :D that's given me something to think about now because it's cheaper then going down the synguider route!

Archived