Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn- Feeble Effort

Zakalwe

Had a batter at Saturn, (and with apologies to the god of the harvest for making such a poor effort at imaging him:o).

Modified Lifecam on 8" Nexstar GPS

About 500 frames stacked out of 1000

Colour balance is all over the shop. These are my first attempts at imaging Saturn, so I am pleased to have captured the Cassini division.

post-21666-133877559911_thumb.jpg

post-21666-133877559917_thumb.jpg

Saturn 08_04_2011 23_51_43.bmp

Nothing feeble about those as first efforts Z....!:D:icon_salut::rolleyes:

As I constantly remind folks, planetary imaging is something that you constantly work away at and, extremely importantly, is very much a waiting game for when the seeing conditions are favourable: good seeing makes focus and capture much easier/better.....with the processing and end results dramatically improved....!:hello2:

Saturn is being a beast at the moment, lots of people seem to be having problems.

Like me !! But you still have to love it.

Congrats - that's really good (especially for your first one).

Cheers all:icon_salut:

Thats a good first effort! Make sure you get more frames I always capture 6 min avis (3600 frames) so even when seeing is not great there are enough decent frames to stack.

No issue with rotation then, unlike Jupiter?

It should be clear hear tonight, so I'll give it another batter...

I had the impression that anything over 100s for an AVI would show planetary rotation but that's only because I have only imaged Jupiter before now. Is it ok to take long videos of Saturn due to it having just banding instead of surface detail in the form of swirls and storm spots?

I had the impression that anything over 100s for an AVI would show planetary rotation but that's only because I have only imaged Jupiter before now. Is it ok to take long videos of Saturn due to it having just banding instead of surface detail in the form of swirls and storm spots?

Hi Peter - planetary rotation is affected as we take longer avi's but Jupiter can certainly take up to 3 minute avi's without rotational blur at the image scales most folks employ.....Saturn up to 6 minutes or perhaps even a bit more.....but I like to keep the run to a maximum of around 5 to 5&1/2 minutes (which includes the 3 rgb recordings and the changeoever times.)

If you scroll over to the next page or go to this link for it http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/137272-2-saturns-2-sizes-2-times.html

you'll see 2 of my images where each took around that 5.5 minutes using a C11 @ around f28.....certainly no lack of fine detail, especially in the rh image.:D

Archived