Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tonight - who else ??

Viv

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dragged the EQ6 and Pentax out for a manual session to look at the moon.

First lunar experience with the new 3.5mm BH EP which gives x191. Put the LP and IV/UV cut filter on it and the result is a bright, clear, perfect view of the moon's terminator.

The next door came out for a siggy and popped over for a look. "Oh Wow you can see the craters and everything!". :D

It's warm out, clear night but I want an early night! I'm pooched.

Saturn is looking particularly good here in North Somerset. The Cassini Division is showing really well and much further around the rings than other recent occasions. I'm searching for a glimpse of Enceladus which might be possible tonight, when the planet gets further above the surrounding houses. My 6" mak-newt is the instrument of choice tonight and is living up to it's reputation :D

Having a wideish field night trying to put some targets in context...

60x60s on M44 just finished an I have just star hopped over to Leo triplet using the S&T pocket Sky Atlas as reference...

No goto's for Billy tonight the mount was just PA'd using the polarscope and tracking manually started... practising for "field ops" with no computer... :D

Will get 60x60 then possibly 30x120s (all at 200mm) then star hop to Markarians...

Billy....

First light tonight, just got back in with the kit absolutely brilliant night despite the horrendous light pollution.

Pointed the scope at the moon which looked stunning, the detail you can pick out is really quite something, I studied that until it dissapeared behind a chimney then swung the scope round and waited for saturn to appear wow unmistakeable, it doesnt look real almost like someone is hanging a miniature saturn off the end of my reflector incresed the res and could definitely make out two moons possibly a third.

I definitely need to find a darker site though the block of flats I live in have a communal bit of ground and has three flood lights a car park flooded with lights right below where saturn was all in all though a great first session :D

i'm back in now.

Really mild out there

Buying a motorised focuser was the best purchase !! But have a horrible gut feeling i need to give collimation a go ................

Been out the past couple of nights. The moon was brilliant tonight, I could see hundreds of tiny craters and some slight color, a hint of brown a delicate hint of blue in the earthshine.

Saturn was good, seeing was poor but some moments were clear as glass.

Then had a look at M3 - masses of stars seen with averted vision.

My newt needs the primary tweaking every time I go out. It makes a real difference. Don't be afraid, take your time and do it cos it's really worthwhile - well like having a new scope on the 2nd/3rd go for me :D

i'm back in now.

Really mild out there

Buying a motorised focuser was the best purchase !! But have a horrible gut feeling i need to give collimation a go ................

Just got in - had lecture and viewing at local observatory and then went and met a few peeps from East Midlands Stargazers at a dark site in Sawley :D:rolleyes::hello2:

Just got in after 4 hours ... 16 Galaxies, 12 ones new to me. OK so they're only mostly just fuzzy hazes with little if any detail, managed to see bits with M51.

But I've found them (no GOTO) and seen them. Got totally lost in Virgo gave up and decided to look at Saturn for the first time with the 10" Dob.

FAB:D:D:D Titan, Rhea, Tethys, Enceladus and Iapetus all easily visible as was the Cassini division during the steady periods great great view with the 4mm Radians.

Certainly saved the best til last. Truly beautiful

Another go tomorrow night I think

A

SAT24 is finally showing the cloud that has been hovering over just the North East, for the past 3 hours, finally moving off.

Not according to my eyes! Someone's lying! :D haha

I'm setting up in the hope to catch something for the last few hours of night time.

Just in myself too! Great night. Currently stacking the Leo Triplet (first sight) and M57 (again first time)

Agree with the mild weather, positively gorgeous.

Clear skies to come too!

Archived