Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera in pieces!

Shibby

Ok, this isn't quite as bad as it sounds, but I finally bought a DSLR (Canon 450D from ebay). Until now, I've been borrowing a (very kind) friend's Nikon D70. Last night, I had a go at modifying it...

All was going well until I came to glueing in the Baader replacement filter. I must have got some glue on my glove and when bedding the new filter in, got specks of glue on it. I had a vein attempt to clean it off but, as you might expect, just made things worse.

So, I had no option but to bin it and order a new one :D I'll have to be very careful next time to avoid another stupid mistake, particularly as I can't afford another one! Until it arrives next week the camera is in pieces in a cake tin!

Typically, beautiful clear skies tonight!! You live and learn I guess!

Mod finished! :)

The replacement replacement filter arrived yesterday, and after glueing that in and battling with fiddly ribbon cables for a while, got it all put back together and it's working perfectly - autofocus and all :p

Here's some before/after pics. After modifying, I set Custom White Balance using a white(ish) door, which wasn't perfect but pretty good. The monitor may have been a better bet.

Before (original filter):

shibby-albums-450d-mod-baader-replacement-fitler-picture10524-before.jpg

After (Baader replacement):

shibby-albums-450d-mod-baader-replacement-fitler-picture10525-after1.jpgshibby-albums-450d-mod-baader-replacement-fitler-picture10526-after2.jpg

After with CWB:

shibby-albums-450d-mod-baader-replacement-fitler-picture10527-aftercwb.jpg

Thanks, I'm very relieved all went well in the end! Now I just need a chance to try it out! Of course, it's galaxy season now so I'm not sure what targets will be good for testing the Ha response... M82 maybe?

Well done, very brave, where did you order the new filter from?

The sell that at Modern Astronomy, £45 delivered.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the view from my garden (with my custom landscape). This time of year, the whole Milky Way is virtually missing! So looks like I'll be sticking to galaxies if I get out there tonight. Although, IC1396 might just sneak into view early hours...

post-17708-133877598757_thumb.jpg

Archived