Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Astroblagger

finding saturn hard to image!

Here is my feeble attempt at imaging saturn, taken with a SW 200p, tried with the C9.25 ota on the mount last night and i didnt even bother record any AVIs cos i knew they wouldnt be any good. I image from the north facing south over a big city do you think this will make seeing alot worse? Finding getting good results with planetary imaging really hard compared to deep sky!

post-22506-133877559621_thumb.jpg

Don't give up ... seeing has been very bad recently due to the unsettled weather. It was a bit better last night, just marginal though. With my C11 I find throwing a towel over the tube to insulate the metal from radiation to space helps reduce tube currents.

SCTs can take a l ... o ... n ... g time to cool down, especially when the air is cooling fast as it was last night. I waited till about midnight (UT) when Saturn was about as high as it was going to get before even trying.

I use the same software and webcam and quite like em, but as was said, seeing has been deceptively poor of late, despite the 'clear' nights. Keep at it :D

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. There have been moments of reasonable seeing for me, but only the odd few seconds and maybe only every 10 mins, so it's just down to your luck.

I tried some imaging of Saturn last night, with and without barlow and the best I managed without the barlow was about as good as what you got. I found the seeing terrible, in fact I have not had half decent seeing with Saturn since 23 March. If I can't get the Cassini to show when I am recording the AVI I know the resulting images are going to be bad.

I image from the north facing south over a big city do you think this will make seeing alot worse?

Yes, I do believe this. For me objects clear a city just before they are due south. The difference in images of Saturn taken 20 minutes before this and when they reach due South is staggering. Of course Saturn is also reaching Maximum height at the same time so I cannot be completely sure it is just the city ruining the images.

I would say add in a barlow and keep trying with Saturn. If we do get a night of good seeing while Saturn is still around you will be amazed at how much better you images come out.

Cheers,

Chris