Narrowband

Astronomy social group (West & North Yorkshire)

Hi all,

I am looking at starting a local astronomy group with the aim of meeting casually/infrequently under dark sky sites around the Northern Leeds/Bradford area (Skipton, Ilkley, Otley, Harrogate etc)

The reason for this is simple. I am moving house to a well lit area (grrr) and was keen to start have astronomy nights under dark skies. I am alone in my hobby and the last time I went to a dark sky site I didn't enjoy the evening as every sound had me turning round in (for want of a better word) fear.

At first I am just looking to gauge the response and feel free to show interest if you are from a little further a field.

The hope is to eventunally end up with a nice size group that can arrange meet ups as and when clears skies bless us. It will also be great to have a group to exchange knowledge, experiences and ideas. Along with gaining a nice stock of dark sky sites to be explored.

If you are interested or have any questions let me know.

Thank you for reading,

Neil

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah then , si thee here :D . Tha mun t forget on't community here theres Yorkshire Astronomers social group . A fair few from't Leeds area in there already now and there has been a 'Meet Up' thread started ! It might meet your 'get out for darker skies ' needs .

Best wishes , Len E

• 3 months later...

West Leeds here. Would love to attend but don't drive and thus carless!

Ilkley Moor road (The 'dead end' road from East Riddlesden, past the Marquis of Granby pub) near the two masts would be an excellent spot to set up. No one ever goes there (apart from ramblers) and its right on top of the moor. Just a suggestion.

North West Bradford here - only ever observed from my light polluted garden - would be interested in some thing on Ilkley Moor or Otley Chevin.

Any one from the Bradford Astro Soc have any suggestions?

Clear skies

Paul

I would suggest that the top of the hill above Lindley reservoir would be a better spot. There is a forestry association car park there. Otley Chevin you have the pollution from Leeds and the airport and Ilkley moor the same from Ilkley (although less than the Chevin for sure).

It is only 10 mins out of Otley and absolutely pitch black. Leeds Astronomical society meet twice a month at the New Inn Eccup but personally I think they could choose a darker site. Anyway they are on recess now until skies get darker earlier, around September time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm from Tadcaster which is between Leeds and York. Definitely interested in any local(ish) meetings on those rare clear nights!

This thread seems to have gone a bit quiet - did anything get organised in the end?

Thanks,

- Jason

Hey all,

Sorry for the lack of response, I have been busy with house moves and DIY related stuff. Plus due to the stupid light shining into my garden I have felt less astronomyish. However now I have sorted that light problem I have got my grove back.

It's great to know so many of you are interested and I am aiming to arrange a time/date to meet up (in the daytime) for a introduction/discussion thing.

It has been mentioned that the Otley Chevin could be a nice dark area or Lindley reservoir, so it seems logical to meet around there. I am unavailable until the weekend of August 27th/28th.

How does this sound to you all?

Hi Venus, definitely up for a regular meet, sounds good!

Regretfully I will be away for a few days over the bank holiday weekend in possibly the busiest spot known the man - the Lake District. Well at least the sky's dark. This weekend I'm doing the Yorks Three Peaks.

:)

But anytime after all this I should be free.

I'll keep a good eye on this thread to see what is arranged.

Great idea - cheers Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, me and my husband are from Harrogate and really would like to join you, actually this weekend is perfect for me, i was also thinking that if my husband is not too tired from work today we could try (we've been in search of dark spots near Harrogate forever) the spots you suggested. Venus, i know what you mean, we are in 2 and less scared... going out there by yourself must be really scared... one time ina park there was a tennis shoe... only one in the middle of the car park, probably some kid forget it while changing the shoes before to get in thecar during the day time.... but by night with only the moon light i assure it was one of the creepiest things i ever seen XD

by the way, look forward to meet you!

Hey everybody,

Due to me working away and some extremely annoying connection issues I wasn't able to check the forum in time to reply.

The first problem I see if getting peoples attentions (including my own) to organise something. So I will try again to see if anyone has a day/time/date that is best for them.

As mentioned I work away and I get lots of weeks off, so for me the only things that stops me meeting up is prior social arrangements and working away. I am good for at least the next two weeks.

When is best for people?

I might add that this is for a daytime, meet and greet. Not for an astronomy night.

Cheers.

Hello, i would say this saturday 3 September and maybe the weekend we could already go somewhere with our telescopes. My husband has 3 days off work and we wanted to go camping, but unfortunally we are stucked in the town for a celebration saturday night. It would be great organize something not far from the area.

Let me know!

Cheers!

Hi, just seen this thread. I'm north west leeds and would be interested in meeting. Unfortunately I'm working this weekend and work shift work. But when I'm free I'd be happy to meet :)

Won't be able to add much in the way of info and experience though!

Cheers

Jay :(

• 1 month later...

hi neil im joining the bradford astronomical society club to day but i would also like go with you and the group for more observation i may have transport issue later on in the month but for now i do have car so the sooner we meet the better so just pm with the date / time convenient for you.

Welcome to Bradford Astronomical Society

Hi all,

I have tried a few times to get interest in the group and people do seem interested but to date nobody has offered any dates to meet. I do work away sometimes and am unavailable, but with planning on my part a meet up can be arranged.

Just to explain to some people, this 'group' is not setting out to destroy the local societies or to steal people from anywhere.

The intention is to have a group of like minded people that can become friends and arrange meet ups on the spur of the moment (when cloudless nights happen) I understand there are local societies which is brilliant but most of the viewing nights they have are pre-arranged and if it's cloudy they are cancelled this is to hopefully give people many more oportunites to have viewing nights under dark sites with the security of others being there.

If you are seriously interested let me know. Either PM me or reply to this thread.

Thanks for reading,

Neil

Archived