Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spring - Galaxy Season

GazA

and i couldnt even find one after 5 hours!

M1 - invisable

M31 - too low in my garden

M33 - Failed

M51 - Failed

M101 - Failed

surely my scope is "man enough" to see at least a dim smudge,

am i rubbish in star stepping or is my scope struggling?

This time if year, M81 & 82 would be my faves to pick out in a smaller scope such as yours. Up high out of the worst of the light pollution, they're not the easiest to star hop to but you won't miss them if you do.

M1 is tiny and is a supernova remnant, also sinking in the west fast

M31 will be better in August/September when it rises again in the east

M33 is very faint, you'd need a big scope and dark skies for that.

M51 is small and again, pretty faint

M101 is much like M33, faint and needs dark skies really.

Tony..

As Tony says wrong type of galaxies, you should see M81/M82 and if you are lucky might get a hint of some Virgo galaxies such as M49, M84, M86 and M87

But remember I did say might.

thanks guys, ive brought this scope as an introduction to astronomy and it was reasonably priced so if i didnt enjoy it, i wouldnt lose a wedge, gladly im enjoying it and want to see more. which brings me to my next question, what scope would you guys recommend to see some dsos mentioned above.

Thanks

Gaz

Have a go for the whirlpool galaxy (M51) which is nice and high at the moment. I used to be able to find it using a 150 from the middle of a town, so should be dooable.

Not galaxies, but try some of the globulars which are nice at the moment. M13 in hercules, M53 in Coma berenicis to name but a few.

Try and get yourself to a dark sky as well. I went to my favourite spot yesterday and the difference is gobsmacking.

You picked some pretty tough targets among that list. Try M109, its high up, tricky to locate but very bright. And NGC3953 which is next to one of the plough stars so quite easy to find

Sky Maps

This has helped me sooooo much, its designed for Telrads but it shows you where the Messiers are within constellations.

HTH

Al

I don't really have any advice to give the OP (sorry OP!), as I was in exactly the same boat last night, but I would just like to thank alowen for this link.

It looks like just what I need and weather permitting will be using it tonight. :D

thanks guys, ive brought this scope as an introduction to astronomy and it was reasonably priced so if i didnt enjoy it, i wouldnt lose a wedge, gladly im enjoying it and want to see more. which brings me to my next question, what scope would you guys recommend to see some dsos mentioned above.

Thanks

Gaz

Also try and find a local astro group if you can. Preferably one with a dark site. Or perhaps one of the SGL observing (social) groups is nearby. Either way it will really pay you to get to a dark site if possible. Galaxies only respond to one thing.....dark skies. Aperture certainly helps observing from home but it's a case of diminishing returns. From my heavily light polluted skies the difference of M51 in a 4" f5 refractor and M51 in a 12" dob was not the jump i hoped for. The LP kills the contrast. Your 130 will transform into a much better galaxy hunter under dark conditions. You'll be amazed what it can do.

Plus you'll get to try other kit before you buy. Decide what you and dislike before laying down the cash.

Worth noting that the 12" works wonders for objects not so affected by the light pollution. The difference between M13 in the 4" and 12" is huge, even from home. And with an OIII or UHC filter fitted the large aperture is in a completely different league. But no filter can help with the galaxies.

Hey GazA you should be able to see a few of those with your 130. I've seen M31 quite easily in the light pollution band, but finding it can be a problem because the stars that you use to find it are obscured by the dreaded orange. It was a better sight when i accidentally found it in the end of january when i got my scope as it was more over head rather than towards the horizon that night.

Also I've seen M51 with my 130 and you could see the satelitte galaxy with it, admittedly they are 2 points of light with smudgy little clouds around them but there was no mistaking the shape. I did see this one in the lake district where the sky is darker than normal town skies.

You should be able to see a few more galaxies too, i spotted 2 last night which were really really small. I tried the latest Sky Tour out of The Sky at Night magazine and saw 2 of the Leo triplet galaxies. They were very very small though and just slight smudges. But saying they recommend a 6" upwards scope to see them Im proud of my little 5"(130) for getting them. :D

Its a little disheartening i must admit when you see the DSO and planetary images peeps on here post with Beast scopes compared to what you have, but half the fun is pushing your scope to its limits i think. :rolleyes:

Good hunting dude! :hello2:

Paul''

The posts above are spot on- you chose some tough targets for your scope. M81/M82 should be within your grasp though and also have a go at M65/66. Globular clusters will also give you lot of pleasure- M13 is an absolute beauty.

I support everything everyone says about dark skies. I did post it above, but now I have a bit more time to post I can contrast the difference.

On Wedensday evening, I went to to my dark sky site (I guess I get there once a quarter) to look for a galaxy which had been a struggle from my back garden. I went to look for NGC4565 NGC 4565 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which I have never found before. With a quick line up with the Telrad then a big wide eyepiece, I found it.

Never would have found it through the LP in my back garden.

The effect of looking through all the LP, means even on this evening, which I have a feeling could be good, I will be focusing on the moon, saturn and a few of the brighter DSOs.

£10 spent on diesel, is by far the best investment in astro equipment you can make.

Archived