Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

RogerTheDodger

DSO's with a webcam

Having done the LX mod on my SPC webcam, I finally got to try it out last night. For some reason the tracking wasn't brilliant so I had to keep to 60 secs or below.

M3, M13 and M92.

post-24384-133877558589_thumb.jpg

post-24384-133877558595_thumb.jpg

post-24384-1338775586_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A bit of an improvement tonight on M3 and M13. Will flats help with the amp glow in the bottom left corner?

post-24384-133877559926_thumb.jpg

post-24384-133877559933_thumb.jpg

You should be really pleased with these - the mod has transformed the humble webcam - good choice of subjects too - excellent!

They are really nice - congrats.

Nice job

Finally got out again tonight, here is M57 14 x 60 secs stacked with registax 5. I did try DSS but it came out very grey and lost all the colour, so as I can't use darks there are some hot pixel artifacts. Quite pleased with the result all the same :)

post-24384-133877607046_thumb.jpg

Those are great images...I'm starting to feel the pull to the dark side :)

RTD you are a natural talent at this :) you want to be careful other wise you will have me around looking for some tips. TBH I think my LX WB has broke and never got a chance to use it properly :p You made your focus mask yourself didn't you ?

SPACEBOY

Thanks both, I must admit that when the first 60 second came up I was quite surprised on how much was visible. I still need to get the tracking sorted though, as I'm getting movement between shots which is ruining some of the subs.

Can you use any type of webcam for doing these shots.... My local store has them from 3.99 to £lots......

What is needed to get it up and running , any special attachments....

And...in simple terms..... how is this "mod" achieved,,,,

Thanks

Very nice results. I think that flats would definitely help reduce or even remove the gradient across the frame. Just noticed that you say you can't use darks. Why not? Simple. Just take a load of frames with the lens cap on!

Edited by lukebl

If you can take images, you can take darks, as Luke has said, just cover the lens and take the same length darks as your light frames. If you are not taking flats then there is no real need to take bias frames.

Excellent images so far though.

Steve

Can you use any type of webcam for doing these shots.... My local store has them from 3.99 to £lots......

What is needed to get it up and running , any special attachments....

And...in simple terms..... how is this "mod" achieved,,,,

Thanks

I think he used a Phillips spc880 flashed to a 900 and then did the LX mod. This is well documented on the web

I am just starting the Mod of my SPC webcam, so it is encouraging to see such great images from it.

Nice work !!

@Kim, that is with the amp off mod.

@Luke @Steve, I have taken darks, but DSS is producing a washed out grey image, so I have used Registax 5.1 - when I use Registax with darks it throws an exception when I load one.

Thanks to all for the nice comments :)

.... I have taken darks, but DSS is producing a washed out grey image...

Strange. 'fraid I can't help with that one.

While I was testing tracking last night I took a sequence of images in the Andromeda M31 area and they seem to have stacked OK. I'm not sure if this is the core of M31, M32 or M110... can anyone tell which it is?

Thanks for looking

roger

post-24384-133877626033_thumb.jpg

No expert but I would have gone with an over exposed M32.

Edited by spaceboy