Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSO's with a webcam

RogerTheDodger

I don't know if this is how it works or not, but i wonder when using a webcam does this not magnify like a high power EP, therefore showing any tracking errors multiplied by the power of the webcam, maybe 200X or more...above a DSLR using Prime Focus...???

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I've said this before, but there are some great images on here, I'm still amazed at what can be achieved with a webcam on the brighter DSOs!

I don't know if this is how it works or not, but i wonder when using a webcam does this not magnify like a high power EP, therefore showing any tracking errors multiplied by the power of the webcam, maybe 200X or more...above a DSLR using Prime Focus...???

Not really Tinker, webcams don't magnify - they just have a different crop factor. The pixel size tends to be similar to that of DSLRs so the resolution is similar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Has anyone here managed to take FLATS with a webcam? If so, with which programme at what settings (exposure time).

Nice images! Well controlled core of M42 (?1)

This thread hasn't been posted [except for yours] for a year - best to start a new thread for some answers :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

hi there. I am a total newbie who owns a second hand neximage 1 and a scope on a alt/az goto mount. I like imaging the moon and planets at the moment and I have had a browse of this thread and the astronomiser site. I would never try to the LX mod myself but I am open to views whether it would be worth my while spending £100-150 top get the neximage modded or should one plum for a cheap dedicated monochrome ccd (some of which claim to be good for planets and DSO but seem to cost >£300 minimum. Is it possible to get good or at least reasonable results on selected DSOs without an EQ mount? Before anyone asks I don't have a DSLR but I would not be averse to getting one of these if this is economical in somebody else's opinion.

I do understand that proper astrophotography costs tons but I only really want to dabble lightly at the moment.

For practise reasons, getting a modded SPC/Toucam isnt a bad idea. you could check eBay. They crop up once or twice a month and sell for about 50-90£.

The next "cheap" thing you can do is buy a used DSLR body. That shouldn't cost you much more than 50£.

Then you can start saving for better while learning the ropes...

• 1 month later...

Hi coppernob

If you do it and it works that's more than dabbling.

If you have details of the mod and the neximage circuit diagram I would love to have them.

I have an unopened Neximage and have been pondering whether to sell it and buy something else or open it, use it on the mopon/planets for experience then mod it/have it moded for imaging DSO's (LX & B&W).

Ted

For practise reasons, getting a modded SPC/Toucam isnt a bad idea. you could check eBay. They crop up once or twice a month and sell for about 50-90£.

The next "cheap" thing you can do is buy a used DSLR body. That shouldn't cost you much more than 50£.

Then you can start saving for better while learning the ropes...

150£ not 50£ - typo ...

Archived