Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSO's with a webcam

RogerTheDodger

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Rogerthedodger,

Im amazed at these pics. You have a similar setup to me and ive been trying to capture these with a Canon cam, these are excellent! I live close to you(dudley)so i can no longer blame light pollution(in the sticks aswell), one question though did you modify webcam as far as amp-off mod?

Thanks

Rich T

Hi Rich, yes I have the amp-off mod which does help. Also, I quite often stack these with registax with just a single dark before processing. One day I'll get around to getting an LP filter which should improve things.

roger

Thanks roger,

I have to be honest the amp off is above me, so just installed a small fan. Haven't really tried it yet as need lead to connect to pc, a fifty foot one! Do you have a link to the instructions you followed? Also to get the m57 that close up presumably you had a lens between, what size was it? Thanks again bud, great images.

PS Have you considered Baader Sky Glow filter, seems to make sky very dark, not sure what the result would be on nebula though as cant get canon to focus to try.

The main directions are here http://www.boltonastro.org.uk/Members_Area/Projects/spc880conversion.pdf and this post from Lee shows the wiring more clearly http://stargazerslounge.com/1756146-post109.html in fact, it may be worth looking through that entire thread as there are a lot of hints/discussions in there on doing this mod.

The DSO pics are with no extra magnification, just the webcam on the 'scope - don't forget the webcam has a much smaller FOV than your canon.

• 1 month later...
Thanks Sam. It'd be interesting if you could try 20 sec exposures and see what comes out, DSS should eliminate the rotation in stacking, but it will narrow the FOV.

It's worth a try! :) The strange thing is, it is clearing up tonight, even though the forecast was for thick, grey cloud...

• 1 month later...
That's impressive! Any chance you could give more info on what you did?

39 x 74s guided, 4 darks with an LX modded SPC900 - while I was trying to get guiding to work reliably I thought I'd try this as a target, nice that it fits in the FOV of the webcam :)

Archived