Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with DSLR Filter

Ok so i have tried out both my methods of connecting the camera to the ST80 Scope.

Using the first method of camera-Tring-scope i can only just acheive focus.

Using the second method of camera-Tring-barlow (lens removed)-Scope i can play around with the focus alot.

So the main question i have is do i need a 2" or a 1.25" filter and where will it fit? That my last question promise! I have attached some pictures of my setup to help.

post-23414-133877559654_thumb.jpg

post-23414-133877559662_thumb.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you can fit the SW LPR filter to the T ring only setup... there's nowhere to attach it. You might be able to attach it to the barlow, but only if the barlow barrel is threaded for filters. The downside being, using 1.25" fittings, you will get vignetting. A cheap option, to extend the focus distance, without the barlow, thus reducing the chance of vignetting, would be to use a set of ebay macro tubes (about £7), but again you can't use the standard SW LPR filters.

Ok thanks for that. I will order a 1.25 as the barlow has a thread on it. If it doesn't fit I will just sell it and save my money for a 80ED. Thanks for all your help.

Matt

I use a Revelation 2" extension tube on my scope to reach focus. It is threaded for 2" accessories, so I just screw in the filter. Installing the filter adds the benefit of isolating the camera sensors from external environment, so dew and dust get stopped by the filter rather than sticking to the sensor.

Revelation 50mm Extension Tube 2"

1.25" filter came today and screws into the barlow tube nicely. Just took this of th e moon just to test it out. I will get back to reading make every photon count now so that i can do some Deep Space stuff. Cheers for the help. Matt

post-23414-133877563382_thumb.jpg

Archived