Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I heart binoculars!

AliMac

Hello all.

I dropped in to RVO yesterday and picked up a pair of Celestron 15x70 Bins. Got to use them tonight. I am VERY pleased with them. I don't mean to denigrate my scope, as I'm still very much in love with her (especially after seeing Saturn for the first time tonight!!), but the view through the bins is fantastic! I'm almost wishing I'd started with them instead. The Pleiades looked magnificent, as they all fit in the one field of view. I was also very impressed by M42, which looked all the better for being in context with the rest of "the sword". Generally it was good to be able to 'sweep' across the sky, rather than being confined by the mount. I expect I'll start to use the bins to find things to look at in more detail through the scope. At some point I'm going to have to stop looking at the same old favourites and actually learn the rest of the sky....

Got a bit of a crick in the neck, but it was worth it!

Once again, thanks to you all for the various old threads that convinced me to buy the bins.

Ali

:)I've had a great night so far with my bins, sweeping the sky, viewing Pleiades (lovely tonight), Orion Nebula, the Moon! I have Celestron 20x80's and really enjoy them, hoping to also pick up a 200mm Dob in the next few months.

Hello all.

I dropped in to RVO yesterday and picked up a pair of Celestron 15x70 Bins. Got to use them tonight. I am VERY pleased with them. I don't mean to denigrate my scope, as I'm still very much in love with her (especially after seeing Saturn for the first time tonight!!), but the view through the bins is fantastic! I'm almost wishing I'd started with them instead. The Pleiades looked magnificent, as they all fit in the one field of view. I was also very impressed by M42, which looked all the better for being in context with the rest of "the sword". Generally it was good to be able to 'sweep' across the sky, rather than being confined by the mount. I expect I'll start to use the bins to find things to look at in more detail through the scope. At some point I'm going to have to stop looking at the same old favourites and actually learn the rest of the sky....

Got a bit of a crick in the neck, but it was worth it!

Once again, thanks to you all for the various old threads that convinced me to buy the bins.

Ali

Binoculars are great fun, especially larger ones. I love the 15x70, great balance of aperture and size/weight. Amazing just what you can see with these. And sounds like you've had a great night with them.

After decades of mucking about with scopes, over the last 6 years or so my binocular has become my main instrument.

Steve, those binoculars of yours are pretty amazing. The view of M31 last year stands out as a highlight. Harry was very impressed too on our last trip.

Steve, those binoculars of yours are pretty amazing. The view of M31 last year stands out as a highlight. Harry was very impressed too on our last trip.

Just don't try the Moon or Jupiter -- the faults begin to show! :icon_eek: This is why I'd bite someone's hand off if I was offered a Takahashi Astronomer.

What they are lovely for at this time of year is playing "how many galaxies can I get at once" in the Virgo/Coma cluster.

There's something special about that widefield experience with 15x70 binoculars. I was too tired to drag the scope out last night, so spent a bit of time scanning the skies with the "bins" - M84, M86, M81 & M82, M13, Melotte 111.....excellent stuff. :icon_eek:

i love mine, i grab them and lay on the floor, there very sharp, pliedies always amazes me in theses, is there a scope out there with the same sharpness has these bins? i started off with 15x70 Celestron sky masters.

I agree 15x70 Bins are very good, especially when mounted on a tripod. Not so good when you want to look at the planets though. I find they compliment my scope rather than replace it.

I do, however, just take the bins for grab and go. It saves the set up time needed for the scope.

Mike

Archived