Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Doesn't it take a long time to get dark these days

WayBig

Maybe I am misunderstanding the comments, forgive me if I am, but it isn't watched kettle never boils syndrome, the path of the sun through the sky means that at this time of year it takes longer to dip as far below the horizon.

So for example in winter the sun may be 20 degrees below the horizon, 30 minutes after sunset. Yet in summer it takes two hours to get 20 degrees below the horizon. I've made up the numbers, but that's how it works, and why come mid summer, it barely goes dark at all - because the sun never makes it low enough below the horizon to allow the sky to go properly dark.

You probably already knew that :icon_eek:

What I like is that I have read of people planning a stay at the Galloway Dark Sky site in June. It will basically not get dark that far north in May, June or July.

The sky was still just a deep blue at 9:00 pm last night, looks like the same tonight.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the comments, forgive me if I am, but it isn't watched kettle never boils syndrome, the path of the sun through the sky means that at this time of year it takes longer to dip as far below the horizon.

So for example in winter the sun may be 20 degrees below the horizon, 30 minutes after sunset. Yet in summer it takes two hours to get 20 degrees below the horizon. I've made up the numbers, but that's how it works, and why come mid summer, it barely goes dark at all - because the sun never makes it low enough below the horizon to allow the sky to go properly dark.

You probably already knew that :icon_eek:

I didnt actually, interesting stuff. More plausible than the kettle theory!

Archived