Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which red light torch ?

My Petzl Tikka plus 2 is a really good head torch. At £35 a piece, it is one of the more expensive option. You can switch between a powerful white LED with 2 levels, and a dimmer red LED for the dark. You can adjust angle of the head light such that you can have it pointed straight ahead when you walk around or tilted down when you look at star chats. It is very compact, I carry mine in my coat pocket all the time.

Personally I prefer head torch to hand torch, because it frees up both hands for setting up or controlling equipment. I used the rear light on my push bike as a backup red light.

Best red light torch? A decent D cell Mag lite... then go to an art supply shop and get a sheet of red acetate. Unscrew the front cap of the maglite.. cut a circle of acetate the right size.. insert... screw the end back on and there you go. A red Mag Lite.

You can do the same with a AA cell Mag Lite too for a smaller, lighter version.

You just can't beat a mag lite.

Hi, Came across these (variable) lights from Rigel Systems which are specifically designed for astronomers and are strongly recommended by our American friends.

Does anyone know if they are available in the UK ?

Cheers.

02Starlite.JPG34sky+star.jpg

+1 for petzl led head light. Can be worn round neck or on head so always at hand. Numerous colour filters/ spot feature and battery lasts for bloomin ages. Dimming options and battery life indicator.

Used one for night fishing for years - best bit of kit i've ever purchased. (British Army cant be wrong!)

Wouldn't that be a little on the bright side? I would personally go for something just bright enough to see what you need.

An AA Maglite is just bright enough when fitted with a Maglite red lens (lens available on eBay for a couple of quid). I bought a used red anodised Maglite and a red lens both of eBay for around a tenner.

Dave

Wouldn't that be a little on the bright side? I would personally go for something just bright enough to see what you need.

I put two layers of acetate in it. It's just about right. If you defocus the beam to a really wide one, it's perfect, and you still have the option to close it up a little if you need a little more light.

Hi, Came across these (variable) lights from Rigel Systems which are specifically designed for astronomers and are strongly recommended by our American friends.

Does anyone know if they are available in the UK ?

Cheers.

I have just heard that our very own FLO are selling these. I'm hoping to get one soon.

Regards,

Harry.

I use a rear bike light that was in a kitchen drawer. not too bright and it was free :D

The only problem is that it is an LED one that has a few flashing settings that I need to cycle through to switch it off :rolleyes: but it was free...

Archived