Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What will destroy us first

Daniel-K

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did an astrophysics module as part of a degree course 20-odd years ago. I was a rubbish student but I half remember one lecturer saying "galaxies collide, stars don't", i.e. galaxies are close enough to make collisions probable, but there is too much space between the stars within galaxies for them to collide. So sun red-giant phase wins. Maybe. Probably remembered the quote wrong. Like I said I was a rubbish student.

After watching Mr Attenbrough on "How Many People Can Live On Planet Earth" again last night, I'd be shocked if us humans see it past another 500 years unless we find technological advances to branch out into the universe or enable us to produce sufficient sustainable resources :rolleyes:

Why do I keep watching the re-runs of programmes telling us we're all DOOMED :D

Why do I keep watching the re-runs of programmes telling us we're all DOOMED :D

Doesn't the fact that they are only doing re-runs suggest that nobody thinks it is worth their while doing new programs to tell us we are all doomed. There is something they are not telling us!

I think we can be pretty confident that we'll have an extinction level event before these two events. Historically we have impacts half the size of the Chicxulub asteroid (dinosour killer) once every 500,000 years. 3 Billion years is an awfully long time.

Failing that, maybe Earth will end up like Venus within a few hundred years due to climate change. lol

Matt

I'd have to agree with most people and say that we will destroy ourselves long before anything else happens. With us out of the way though what would top the food chain???

I'd have to agree with most people and say that we will destroy ourselves long before anything else happens. With us out of the way though what would top the food chain???

Who knows what will evolve without us inhibiting diversification.

What if they create a black hole at CERN? Can you imagine the chaos. Supermarket aisles will be a mess as rice pudding and spaghetti get sucked out of their tins! Carpets and furniture will litter the streets as houses get sucked inside out and 'deal or no deal' will be a disaster as the answers get sucked out of their boxes!

Archived