SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

10" dob or 8" with equatorial mount

If you ever want to do imaging in the future you'll need and EQ mount and the EQ5 will take a variety of scopes. If you're strictly observing only - then the ten inch flex tube is your best bet - but the mounts tend to be specific to the ota :icon_eek:

If you ever want to do imaging in the future you'll need and EQ mount and the EQ5 will take a variety of scopes. If you're strictly observing only - then the ten inch flex tube is your best bet - but the mounts tend to be specific to the ota :icon_eek:

I can see the need for an EQ mount for imaging but does the mount affect the enjoyment of observing normally. Is it hard to keep things in the scopes field of view?

For observing, my choice would be the 10" Flextube with SynScan. You could also do a bit of planetary/lunar imaging with it. The 8" on an EQ mount would be OK to get you started on deep sky imaging, but really you'd want a HEQ5 or EQ6.

I would advise you get one with tracking, though. I wish I'd saved a bit longer and got tracking with my Dob.

For observing, my choice would be the 10" Flextube with SynScan. You could also do a bit of planetary/lunar imaging with it. The 8" on an EQ mount would be OK to get you started on deep sky imaging, but really you'd want a HEQ5 or EQ6.

I would advise you get one with tracking, though. I wish I'd saved a bit longer and got tracking with my Dob.

Unfortunately the difference in price between the EQ5 mount and the HEQ5 is about 500euros.

Archived