SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

RDF for Reflector - What do you use?

Hi Guys,

I have just bought a SW Evostar 80ED Pro which will be mounted on a SW AZ4, now i know the scope comes with a 9x50 finder scope, but was wondering if any of you use a Red Dot Finder as well and if so who's.

I have a telrad for my dob and i very much doubt anyone uses a telrad on the smaller refractors.

I use one of the William Optics/Vixen MRF clones, like this one:

ScopeTeknix (MRF) Multi LED Reticule Reflex Finder on quick release foot for Orion, Sky Watcher, Helios etc

Wouldn't swap for anything, not even a Telrad (which i had and loved). The MRF fits a standard Synta finder shoe, is small and ruggid and i just find it perfect to use. But i do know others who are not so keen on this finder. So not for everyone.

I use a Rigel QuiKfinder on my 6" refractor and a Vixen RDF on my 4" refractor. I use a Telrad on my 10" newtonian but I felt it would be too bulky on the refractors although they are often used on 6" ones.

TBH I've found most of the RDF's I've tried work fine and do their job but I spend some time with each one making sure it points as exactly as possible where the main scope points. My aim is that an object that is lined up with the RDF should be the field of view of even my high powered eyepieces.

I have a rigel quik finder which i use on both the dob and the startravel 120 - like a telrad without the outer circle. Though I mainly use it as a pointer rather than to star hop, I do most of my starhopping at the eyepiece

Am i right in thinking that the MRF clone like the one Russ linked to, fits in the standard finder shoe on the scope, replacing the standard 9x50 finder? or can it be mounted anywhere on the scope (via sticky pads as i do not want to drill anything) this is because i do not want to actually replace the 9x50 rather add an RDF for ease of use.

The difference i can see between the Baader SS III and the MRF clone is that the baader is a single red dot compared to the MRF's multiple pattern, but can they be fitted elsewhere on the scope rather than in the standard finder slot.

The telrad is huge compared to the others and for that reason i have bought one of these for my 8" dob, as it will not look out of place, but fitting a telrad on a 80mm scope would look rather out of place i would think, the rigel quick finder only worries me as it stick out higher than the rest and i could imagine me knocking it now and again which would possibly knock it out of collimation with the scope, does the rigel QF mount in the finder shoe on it's own mount or both?

Having never used a RDF with a telescope i do not know if i could live with just the RDF rather than having it to accompany a straight through view finder, so i have the best of both options.

By the looks of it the MRF will only fit into the Synta finder shoe or onto a William Optics style crayford, depending on which base you buy. There's no stick pad version. Which i found worked for a while but then started moving around, eventually falling off.

I noticed at SGL6 that someone was using a Telrad with elastic bands holding the base. So no sticky pad damage on the paint.

Gaz, the one i linked too will fit the Skymax 127 no worries.

The only downside to this finder i find is the alignment procedure with the main scope. It needs to be done with an allen key, which is rather fiddly in the dark. And so rules out swapping it between scopes regularly. Hence i've bought two, one for each scope.

I got a Telrad for my Dob last week. Pretty much the most useful upgrade I've got so far. It makes using the Dob far more fun and easy aim. I left the original finder on for fine adjustment.

I got the Rigel Quikfinder for an 80mm refractor mainly but also use it on other scopes (having got some extra baseplates, it's very quick to swap over). A Telrad was too big for the space on the 80mm!

I'm very happy with it! :icon_eek:

Russ, i would also buy one for each scope too, but looking at it the other way once you have set the MRF with the allen key it cannot be accidentally altered like one's with dials.

Revs, i have not heard a bad thing about the telrad hence why i have one for mounting on my dob, but i is just too big for my mak and reflector.

Luke, the rigel quickfinder is another highly rated RDF and one i did consider the only down side is it has a small footprint and stands vertically and i was worried that i may knock it and put it out of collimation, but maybe that is just me looking to see what problems i may encounter using different RDF's.

Sorry, missed your comment about the Rigel sticking out!

The Rigel has a base plate that you stick on with a double sided sticky strip. It's not a rock solid mounting, but works fine for me and has the plus that you can stick it anywhere on the scope (I sometimes use both a finder scope and the Rigel on the dob) without having to drill holes etc!

It has a quick release button, I take the Rigel off each session as I worry about catching it as it does stick out a fair bit, especially on the 80mm!

It tends to hold its position fairly well when I pop it back on, but I find it very quick to callibrate again, you have three little dials you twist, I prefer callibrating it to a finder scope, takes a few seconds.

Cheers everyone for your input and i have decided to buy 2 the MRF clone Russ has kindly linked too and a rigel quickfinder also, and i already have the telrad for my dob, so eventually i can post a review on:

1. Telrad

2. Rigel QuiKfinder

3. MRF clone by ScopeTeknix

Thanks guys.

Archived