SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

9-pane solar mosaic, April 4th

Starman

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that pic is absolutely amazing. I am thinking more and more about doing some solar viewing. can you just use a filter on your ep's and see that sort of detail? how about welding lenses? i can lay my hands on them easily as i am a welder so they would be very cheap if not free.

cheers

Adamski

that pic is absolutely amazing. I am thinking more and more about doing some solar viewing. can you just use a filter on your ep's and see that sort of detail? how about welding lenses? i can lay my hands on them easily as i am a welder so they would be very cheap if not free.

cheers

Adamski

To get detail like the one posted you would need a Ha filter , they dont come cheap.

not tried welders lense how would you plan fitting to your telescope?

the cheapest way I have seen to date (£14) is home made filter using Baader AstroSolar Safety Film ND 5.0.But you only see sun spot and some surface detail

Welding lenses are unsafe, especially if used in the EP, and more so in fast scopes. Welding lenses absorb light and therefore heat. In the prime focus, this may cause them to shatter in all but the smallest scopes, especially fast ones. In general, it is better to remove the excess light before concentrating it in prime focus. Baader solar safety film is the cheapest option to do this, and one of the best according to some. Other solar scopes have one (interference) filter at the objective, and a second (interference) filter at the EP end. In scopes like Maks and SCTs, some filter or aperture mask is needed to prevent the secondary mirror from shattering under the thermal stresses caused by the F/2 or F/3 primary, even when using some filter (e.g. H-alpha) as the EP end

the cheapest way I have seen to date (£14) is home made filter using Baader AstroSolar Safety Film ND 5.0.But you only see sun spot and some surface detail

Doesn't adding a Baader Continuum filter help bring out detail?

Re: welding lens, it's an interesting idea, maybe some kind of peltier cooling could be employed?

I've no idea what the sun looks like through a welding mask!? Have you tried it Adamski?

Doesn't adding a Baader Continuum filter help bring out detail?

Re: welding lens, it's an interesting idea, maybe some kind of peltier cooling could be employed?

I've no idea what the sun looks like through a welding mask!? Have you tried it Adamski?

A Peltier cooling of the welding lens would not work, indeed it would increase thermal stresses, because the edge would be cooled (certainly not the centre :icon_eek:), whereas the centre would be heated. It is not the heating that causes glass to shatter, it is differences in temperature, and the resulting differences in expansion. Almost all safe methods of dealing with sunlight involve reflecting light away (that includes interference filters), rather than absorbing it.

Welders glass (no. 14) is recommended as safe for visual purposes, but not for use with an optical instrument. The surfaces might not be optically smooth enough for higher magnification anyway.

New member, looking for advice on first telescope, picked up that info from another thread.

My father in law was staying at the same campsite that you took thses pics from, so was browsing the thread.

This picture is incredible!

As a novice, could you list what equipment you used to get this pic and how much it cost please? I have already fround the solarscope site.

This picture looks to me as if it should be in a book, or on a poster.

I would buy one!

Archived