Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

thommo10

150 frac or 150 newt

This question has been bugging me for age's and I am probably going over old ground but as regards DSO's what would be better or would they be the same, between a sw150frac, f/5 and sw150 Newtonion, f/5

Edited by thommo10

Collect similar amount of light, refractor a little more as no secondary (12% blockage). With the same magnification the image is the same brightness.

Reflector will have a little less on contrast, refractor may show some CA. But DSO's being dim they're not really bright enough for CA to be an issue.

Other then cost the refractor should have the advantage.

Edited by Capricorn

"Price per Inch" 150mm frac OTA is £475 you can get a 250mm OTA newt for £425

Both need an EQ5 or better to mount it on.

250mm will out class it on DSO's for cheaper.

Edited by Earl

Get an 8" f6 DOB and be done with it. The perfect all rounder in my humble opinion:)

Hi Keith

In your sig it says you already have a 6" newt.:icon_eek:

If you wanna upgrade for DSO's then bigger aperture is the only realistic way.

From a 6" the next reasonable size would be 8" at the least.

Regards Steve

I agree with the comments already made but will chip in another thought. If you are looking at objects near the zenith where there is the least atmosphere, with a newt you will have the eyepiece at the highest point, with the frac it will be at the lowest point. Think about the viewing position since the longer you spend at the eyepiece the better the view and the more comfortable you are the longer you will spend looking at these elusive dim DSOs.

thanks for the answers, food for thought I think, the position of the eyepiece/focuser is important I think as I live close to a city the light pollution does not seem to be as bad nearer the zenith, and I do get a bit fed up having to keep moving the tube assembly around to get a decent viewing position.