Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star Hopping - How to find anything from SGL6

mdstuart

I am glad people are finding my notes of use. The key to this as with many things is practice. Once you are familiar with anything such as a map of the UK it becomes easy to point at say Norwich...

Its the same with the sky. With practice it becomes easier to pick out Albeiro etc..

Mark

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Nice structured explanation. Clearly having maps with different levels of detail helps a lot (and is a great investment!). I go from Wil Tirion's maps at the back of his "Binocular Astronomy", good old Norton's Star Atlas, through Stellarium to the one and only "The Great Atlas of the Sky" by Piotr Brych. Different atlasses for different tasks. And then you study the map, select a hopping path, check it out through the scope, recheck.... And learn the patterns. Step by step you get to know your hops for more and more objects. And that is kind'a cool!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

So it's still cloudy so I am doing some reading of all this useful free information on this great site.  I thought I'd start at the top so my apologies if these questions are ones I'll encounter the answers to as I work my way through the rest of the information.  I had two questions at I read the OP's PDF. 

1.  How do I determine what magnitude of star I am looking at?  I presume 'magnitude' means how bright the star is.  So how do you work this out - the guide refers to selecting stars at magnitude 4 or 3, but how do you measure/determine this - is there some way of 'metering' these?

2.  Several times in the guide it refers to knowing the distance in degrees across things such as viewfinders and lenses.  I can see how a lens could represent a distance in degrees, but how do I know what our lenses will show?   We have the ones in my signature and I think my son has just received a 32mm plossl as a present - is there a way of working this out?

JOC

Estimating magnitudes and degrees etc comes with experience. Have a look at this link.

http://www.stargazing.net/david/constel/magnitude.html

It is possible with suitable photography kit to get a magnitude reading.

https://www.aavso.org/ccd-photometry-guide

You can work out your field of view for your 32mm plossl here:

https://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view_calculations

Mark

1 hour ago, westmarch said:

There is a nice little app. Called AstroAid that helps work out FOV, etc.  for different combinations. Handy if you are out of reach of a PC. 

This is IOS only by the look of it

• 3 years later...