Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Your favourite globular

adam88

Morning guys and gals.

I've always been fascinated with globulars and they are by far my favourite objects to view..... so with spring here and the spring/summer globulars reaching more favourable viewing positions i was wonderiing what everybodies most memorable views were and of which globular?

Maybe there are some NGCs someone has had a good view of who could enlighten me about :icon_eek: (of course in the S hemisphere they have 47tuc and omega centauri).

I yet to observe any of the ophiuchus messiers but for me i think my fav has to be M5. Although it doesn't quite reach the elevation on say M13 or M92 if you point enough aperture at it it's a glorious sight!!

Any way i'm interested to hear your tales of viewing these great balls of fire :rolleyes:!!

Cheers

Adam

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's got to be either M13 or M5 but I'm going to throw a weird one in to the mix. A globular cluster in a different galaxy to ours in fact Mayall 11 (G1) in Andromeda, believe me not much to look at but at least I've seen it.

Im with Russ, we were talking about this the other night and we both said M56... its often overlooked but very nice to view

Another of my favs is not strictly a glob but looks like one, its M11... very nice at a dark sky

hehe yes M11 was pretty spectacular last year. Beautiful object and does look glob like.

M13 was also the best i've seen it last year in the 12", showing the beautiful propeller shape.

Afternoon Russ!

is M56 the one in Lyra?? I have viewed it but not from a dark enough site to get any decent resolution. I'll have to try that one out if i can hiost the dob down the new forest!

I was also very pleased to spot M56 with my 15x70s. M13 the first time through my C8, when it resolved into a fireworks display of stars was great. The naked eye sighting 47 Tucanae in South Africa was awesome, and through the 15x70s it was outstanding.

I have not got Omega Centauri (yet:)).

Omega Centauri, seen from Fuerteventura (Canaries) with an 80mm scope. Nowhere near as spectacular as M13 in my 12" from UK, but nice to see it all the same. And another vote for G1, apparently the most luminous glob in the entire Local Group. It's certainly the furthest that can be seen as non-stellar - a tiny smudge in the 12" but thrilling to see.

Omega Centauri, seen from Fuerteventura (Canaries) with an 80mm scope. Nowhere near as spectacular as M13 in my 12" from UK, but nice to see it all the same. And another vote for G1, apparently the most luminous glob in the entire Local Group. It's certainly the furthest that can be seen as non-stellar - a tiny smudge in the 12" but thrilling to see.

I will take my 80mm to Australia soon, so I must have a look at Omega Centauri when I am there! G1 is beyond my C8, alas.

Afternoon Russ!

is M56 the one in Lyra?? I have viewed it but not from a dark enough site to get any decent resolution. I'll have to try that one out if i can hiost the dob down the new forest!

That's the one Adam. Superb from the forest in the dob. :icon_eek:

Im suprised no one has mentioned either M4 or M22. I guess they don't get to high for us but i've had great views of them both through my 4" apo!

M 53 in Coma Berenices,it looks great in a 12'' and really easy to find close to alpha coma.

Your right about M53 Paul, it certainly is a gooden! Had a great view of it through my 10" dob a couple of weeks ago and even was getting hints of resolution at the edges through my apo (though it required a good 20 mins at the eyepiece at 200x!)

Hi

Gonna buck the trend and go for M15. just love the density of it in my 16"

I know its not a summer special.

So for summer I think M22. It doesn't reach very favorable altitude I know, but its a monster of a cluster and still looks great in big scopes.

Regards Steve

Mine are M22 and M4, i'd love to get a better view of them sometime from a lower latitude. M22 is positively massive, and M4 has quite an interesting 'spindle' running through the center.

I agree M22 is so spectacular that it is easy to overlook nearby M28. Last summer I think I spotted M4, but forgot to log it, as I was just coasting through Sagittarius and Scorpius with my then new 15x70s, pausing only to push my lower jaw back in place :icon_eek:

I'll give another vote for M22, it was spectacular last summer. There's so much good stuff in that area of the sky. Well worth seeking out a dark site with a good view south.

Another vote for M56... spent a lot of time waiting for a night good enough to resolve some of it. Also in the mix are M3 and M5, two of the first globs I saw - the first time I saw M3 was purely luck when I hit M3 rather than M13 on my handset at the end of a long session and conditions were just spot on and it was an amazing sight.

Obviously M13 is a stunner but I also like M92...

James

Another vote for M22, with M4, M15 and M2 running close behind.

As for Omega Cent. current thinking is that it's actually the center of a dwarf galaxy, so, it may not qualify any more. Even so, it's wonderful to look at, specially in a pair of those BIG binoculars.

• 5 months later...
Omega Centauri and 47 Tuc are superb even in urban skies. In a dark sky site, seeing the "Owl Eyes" feature is amazing! Another beautiful globular is NGC 6752 the Starfish in Pavo for us Southern Hemisphere observers.

I spotted 47 Tuc from South Africa, and Omega Cen and NGC 6752 when I was down-under in April and May. The latter is less known, but a magnificent one indeed. I only had my 15x70s down there, and would love to see them through a bigger scope. That must be breathtaking.

Archived