SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

question about NEQ5 mount

I´ve just ordered my first telescope a skywatcher 200p/1000 NEQ5 and I´d like to know if this mount is any good for photography. After a lot of reading on the internet I decided not to go for a dob as they can´t track. My intention is to buy a motor for tracking later but will it be good enough?

Thanks! :icon_eek:

The HEQ5 comes with motors (as standard) that will let you start on the road to astrophotography. The Synscan upgrade is only any good if you are going to guide with a second camera / scope.

You'll be amazed at what you can get with just 1 minute subs through the 8". The HEQ5 will handle the 8" even for astrophotography - it will be more prone to wind - but it will work.

Cheers

Ant

Thanks for all the replies. The telescope mount is the NEQ5 and it doesn´t come with any motors although you can add them, I think. I´m not sure what the N stands for as the mounts sold separately are called EQ5. The HEQ5 is more than double the price.

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old post but I thought my experience was worth sharing.

It all depends what you want to image and how much set-up time you give it. It is possible to get some great images of planets and DSOs - but you will need patience and be prepared to do a lot of post capture image processing for DSOs particulalry.

I started unguided imaging with a very similar setup (I have an OO 250mm and the older EQ5) using a modified webcam to capture <>5 second exposure (10 seconds max) sub frames and stacking. I would capture 60-80 images, throw away 20+ and stack the rest. Eventually I upgraded to a 350d DSLR which I still use and repeated the same technique.

Imaging with a webcam is tough as its FOV is very small. The mount does wobble, so you have to very careful swapping eyepieces for cameras. I used a wide field 32mm eyepiece to get the general area and star hopped to the exact location, then used shorter (<10 mm) eyepieces to center the area of interest before carefully replacing the camera. Then I would use the laptop screen image to fine tune the location.

Make sure the mount is on firm ground and the legs are locked in place, the polar alignment needs to be done well and the scope needs to be properly balanced. I marked the ground where the tripod feet went - this speeds up the setup.

Cheers,

Paul

Archived