SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SW 250PX Tension system

After my wobbly experience trying to track Saturn last night I'm convinced I'm not using the tension system properly. The manual doesn't explain exactly how to use it (I've looked quite a few times).

It's supplied with two handles and a small ball bearing washer which fits on onto one of them I think(I've been doing this with the longer handle)?

Do I need to connect both handles for viewing, and is that what the ball bearing is indeed used for? I'm wondering if my wibbly wobbly experience is due to me not doing it correctly. I've included a photo of the two handles and the small ball bearing washer.

I feel so daft asking all these questions but I just want the best out of it, I'm sure you've all felt the same at somepoint...Well...maybe not as lost as I am sometimes.

dsc00417kq.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hi Gio

The washer goes on the handle on the focuser side. Both handles be attached when observing but only the one on the focuser side is used for setting the required tension. I personally dont like the whole friction handle thing so i made up some magnetic counterweights to balance my 200p and it works a treat. The only time i would have to add a little resistance with the handle is if i was observing at the zenith, otherwise the handles are always loose.

post-24496-13387755733_thumb.jpg

Thanks Damo, does it have to be a particular handle on the focuser side? They are both slightly different. When you say they are loose do you mean at the minimum tightness without the OTA falling backwards?

Not sure which handle for which side but would guess the washer would go on the one with the longer thread. You are correct on the tension. I only screw both handles in till they make contact with the side of the base and then only use the one on the focuser side to adjust to required friction. The trick is to apply enough tension that the ota doesn't crash into the base but not too much that will leave your movements very jerky. It will come with practice.

Archived