Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL6 - Most memorable moments...

Helen

I thought it might be nice to share our memorable moments...

For me they are:

- the gatherings around the solar scopes, both SGLers and normal campers, on Saturday afternoon

- watching a large marquee lose its battle with the wind and finally collapse in a heap :icon_eek:

- hearing normal campers enthuse about how lucky they felt to have been at the campsite last weekend and have seen some amazing sights

- seeing Kev there again, and looking remarkably well

- having little Jessica thank me so many times because she was having a great time

but the best....

- watching little Lewys explore the universe using John's large scopes and then him offering John a Jaffa Cake as a thank you - a priceless moment! that kid will go far!!

Helen

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.....- watching little Lewys explore the universe using John's large scopes and then him offering John a Jaffa Cake as a thank you - a priceless moment! that kid will go far!!

Helen

He certainly will - it was a pleasure spending a little time with him and his dad at SGL6 - nice that the universe obliged us as well :rolleyes:

Other personal highlights:

- Saturday night with Mark (at Beaufort) sweeping up the galaxies in our 6" scopes, comparing the views and "pushing the envelope"

- The sun gleaming of the brasswork of PhilJ's magnificent 4" F/15 Fullerscope's refractor.

- Evening sunlight on the pines across the valley - about 15 minutes of "magical" light.

- Saturn through Harry's (Russ's son) 127 mak.

The only "lowlight" was knocking over my can of Hobgoblin while munching the BBQ grub, much to Michael Morris's horror :icon_eek:

I thought it might be nice to share our memorable moments...

For me they are:

- the gatherings around the solar scopes, both SGLers and normal campers, on Saturday afternoon

Helen

This was one of the highlights for me too. So glad i pulled out the PST from the welcome tent. Suddenly there was a lot of interest, lots of wows and amazement. That was a great couple of hours.....oh i love solar observing. And to see so many others getting equal pleasure from it was great to watch.

The surface detail in the double stack PST was simply gobsmacking. But at the same time, it was interesting to see that the single stack gave a much better view of the proms. While a lot of people were just enjoying the view through the white light filtered scope.

And it was great to see so many youngsters of all ages enjoying the whole experience of SGL. Makes you realise the hobby is in a very healthy state right now.

My only regret was not bringing Sam too, so many other families brought along the younger ones and they loved it. And i know Sam was so disappointed to be left behind.......the mean Dad i am.

Seeing the 'surface' detail of the sun through NickH's scopes, incredible real time imaging which might end up being very expensive :icon_eek:

Seeing the look of horror on John's face as the beer can went over :rolleyes:

The very relaxed and light hearted atmosphere.

The ridiculously good night skies we had lol

memorable moments? So many I was prepared to put my scope up for sale and walk away from it all but a couple of lovely nights have reenthused me. The sky's were amazing but the people even more so. special thanks to jbm114 for showing me his large planetary refractor and just being a genuinely funny and entertaining guy. to jonh and photosbykev for the photography tips both talented photographers and true gentlemen. to veracocha and nick k, I couldn't have asked for better neighbours. stevewolves his enthusiasm and knowledge were a real tonic Lulu and friends for providing the soundtrack. Not all the stars were in the sky last week plenty of them were camped around me. I am so looking forward to meeting you all again and to those of you whose names I have forgotten my apologies I am so very dreadful at remembering names. Hopefully I will see you next year

Most memorable was probably walking around with Carl and Robbie realising that we were the only ones up and at it on Sunday morning....then finishing off the keg of Butcombe waiting for the sun to rise knowing that we'd squeezed every last drop....out of the night sky. :icon_eek:

Oh and of course showing a respectable pro who shall remain nameless how to use his tripod head... :D priceless that one!

Super weekend roll on SGL7. :rolleyes:

He certainly will - it was a pleasure spending a little time with him and his dad at SGL6 - nice that the universe obliged us as well :icon_eek:

When I tucked him into bed that night I asked if he'd had a good day and he replied with a huge amount of excitement "BRILLIANT"!:rolleyes:

For me the two stand out moments were taking jahmanson's advice and actually spending more time looking at targets rather than jumping all over the sky, as I've got a mak I decided to track Saturn for a few hours and the more I looked the better it got. I'm sure I could even make out 3 moons (is that possible?).

Also the solar viewing just stunned me. It's something I would never have considered doing if i hadn't tried it at SGL6. Russ's enthusiasm was almost addictive, and when I questioned him about the white light filters he quickly had a scope set up for us to try it out!

Amazing weekend.

Oh and of course showing a respectable pro who shall remain nameless how to use his tripod head... :rolleyes: priceless that one!

How embarrassing for the poor chap, whoever he is!!! :icon_eek:

PS - There's a cheque in the post. Let's keep it to ourselves, shall we... :D

For me the newbie, with only one viewing under my belt before I arrived on Thursday there was so much to mention.

Watching NickH take his solar shots then work on them was amazing.

Managing to get my scope set up properly on the first night with the help of Sarah and Luke.

All of the help and lectures from so many people.

Finally the key bit that will live with me, was taking my very first photo. Clicking on the remote control and seeing Orion Nebula on my Nikon DSLR. I acted like a child almost jumping up and down! Awesome. Many thanks to Ibbo - Steve (got it right this time) for telling me to put the camera on and just shoot!

Trouble is I had sooooo much to take on board, can we do it again next week please Miss?

Best regards

Chris

The views through the solar scopes were superb thanks for the views

How about Noels (glider) impressions of Clint Eastwood each night as he wrapped up against the cold with Mrs Bazs (kris) poncho

ahaha wa wa wa (suppossed to be the theme tune to good the bad an the ugly):icon_eek:

Philj

The highlight for me was putting faces to forum avatars and making new friends.

Also watching spellbound as Mark (at Beaufort) and John (jahmanson) whizzed around the night sky, ticking off targets like a couple of pro's. Magic...

The highlight for me was Saturday night. Jessica leaning over the scope like a pro aiming at objects in the nights sky and then going 'wow.' That was quickly followed by nipping over to another scope to check that she had found the same object.

She's just got this astronomy bug......

Roll on SGL7. (Can we have it near the sea side so I can go sailing please.)

I had so many enjoyable moments.

Viewing the Sun most days through my PST. Looking through the double stack PST and viewing solar white light through Phil's vintage frac.

On Friday night using my 4" APO frac and having JonH's binoviewers to view the clusters in Auriga, Gemini and Perseus. I fact I said 'wow' when looking at the Double Cluster.

On Saturday night John (Jahmanson) and I stood side by side with his 6" Mak/Newt and I used the 6" Skywatcher Newt from FLO. We star hopped from galaxy to galaxy and must have viewed about 25 DSOs. To see the Whale and Hockey Stick Galaxies just shows what can be seen in a 6" scope with dark skies.

Wonderful moments.

Mark

There were lots of highlights for me, but the most memorable will be catching a glimpse of Mercury for the first time on Saturday evening. There were about 8 of us gathered around the riverbank watching that elusive object. It was a shame that I couldn't make it out with the naked eye though.

I guess that now makes me one of the 7% of humankind that has seen our innermost planet. :icon_eek:

Sounds like you all had a great time :icon_eek: I am very happy for you all and quite jealous too!

Unfortunately I couldn't get the time off work and am saving up to see the final shuttle launch this summer.

Sounds like you all had a great time :icon_eek: I am very happy for you all and quite jealous too!

Unfortunately I couldn't get the time off work and am saving up to see the final shuttle launch this summer.

Hi Adam,

I am sure you meant unfortunately :rolleyes:

Regards

Chris

Ah, what memmories, so many

After checking all the camper and astronomy list's realising we had left my warm boots at home 100+ miles into the journey :icon_eek:

Seeing Steve L walking with a walkytalky in one hand and a mallet in the other thinking "someones causing trouble and Steve is going to sort it :headbang:" ONLY to realise he and a few other brave soul's were trying to rescue the BIG TOP, no chance the wind was to strong.

Micheal, Andrew and I hunting Globs with our bins

Kevin (beyondvision) spending time sorting out the astrotrac and assisting with the DSLR, A BIG thank you Kev.

Meeting new and old friends.

Finaly, this was our 1st SGL event and I was mighty impressed with the organization and friendly atmosphere.

Highlights

- Meeting up with old friends and meeting new ones!

- The amazing organisation Helen and the team did

- Viewing galaxies and clusters with John through gaps in the clouds

- Watching Greg get his first guided image and the pleasure he got from that

- Watching Kai get his AWR goto working

- The huge enthusiasm everyone had and the anticipation on the Friday and Saturday evenings as the clouds cleared was quite amazing!

- Best star party yet!!

Lowlights

- Not getting round to say Hi to everyone :icon_eek:

- My own imaging not working

- Going home :rolleyes:

Highlights

- Astrognomes patience (I can still see your eyes rolling!!), bless you. You're a star.

- Endless help from everyone, you're a very kind bunch of people, thanks.

- Hours of unexpected clear (ish) skies.

- Giggles provided by the surrounding bods, for various reasons. Thank you.

- Hearing a story about a certain lady going face first into the stinging nettles blind drunk (shouldn't laugh)

Lowlights

- Getting myself in a strop when I couldn'd find the M13, realised I was looking in Cephus.. Oooops

- Not getting round to saying Hi to everyone.

I'm not with stupid, I am stupid!!

Can't wait for the next time

Claire

my best memories are,

dave near me came and colimated my 200p the view was so clear, again dave with his dob showing me around the sky fantastic, and what a result , bought a bressler messier f10 for £60, 4in clamps £8, 45 deg £14,dovetail bar £5, free screws donated by the shop htat was selling on saturday, then useing it sat night , amazing, roll on next yr.and a big thanks to everyone who took the time to help me with many questions that i had .

Archived