Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A triple and double galaxy fest

mdstuart

Not content with the observing at SGL6 I went out again last night! Mad..

Found a lovely but faint triple galaxy cluster in UMA. NGC 3994 seemed the brightest two me followed by NGC 3995 which is more diffuse and finally the very faint NGC 3991. Took some patience and averted vision with the 10 inch but rewarding.:icon_eek:

Turns out its ARP 313

NGC 3991/3994/3995

I also saw NGC 3788 last night which is right next two NGC 3786 but I did not pick up86. 88 was a small but slender object. Its one of those moments when you come in and see there was another galaxy in the view but you missed it. Am I the only one who does this..

Looks like they are merging! :rolleyes:

Galaxy Zoo’s special exhibition of merging galaxies

I then did a rove around the Virgo cluster for fun. No drawing just ticking off one after the other using a map from an old magazine. I managed to spot 13 mesier galaxies and 26 non messier galaxies, 11 of which were new to me. I must go back and study those 11 in more detail..

Mindblowing evening..

Mark

Great report, Mark! Quite a feat to spot 11 new ones when your count is at 400+. It gets me itching to have a go myself. They promise clear skies for tomorrow, so I shall have a shot at some of these (there are some other brighter ones in UMa I still want).

Regarding suddenly spotting a galaxy in the FOV that you missed before: I have that frequently. The most recent cases were with NGC 3605 just below NGC 3607 (but that is a faint one), and NGC 4346, which I did not spot at first, or mistook for a star with its condensed core, and then suddenly the rest of the galaxy pops out, and you wonder how on earth you missed it.

I have to agree, i have been observing before and after doing a follow up check of what i was observing i have found on more than one occasion that there was another fuzzy that should have been visible but somehow i missed it. When this happens i do make a point of returning to the missed object during my next observing session and am often suprised i did not pick it out the first time. Just my lack of experience i guess.:icon_eek:

Archived