Narrowband

Damien Peach Best Saturn 28.3.11 alt 34degrees

AztecastroMcJ

Perhaps we should invite Damien to SGL, seems an awful shame to have the wherewithal to produce an image like this one and not share it with one of the largest astro communities on the planet!

What a beautiful sight Saturn really is!

My god thats a bit of a jump from the earlier one he did. Damiens the man in my book. I know its rather silly talking about favourites, Prefering styles or detail, ect. but Damien is just magical. I prefer what he does almost exclusivly over what anyone else does. He just seems to be able to push further, better. in ways that seem impossible to me. Now i want a C14 all over again Ouch. did you have to post this. that image is not only unbelivable. its also really really nice processing. Sorry guys. Damien is probably the worlds best, in so many ways. silly as it is to say that.

My god thats a bit of a jump from the earlier one he did. Damiens the man in my book. I know its rather silly talking about favourites, Prefering styles or detail, ect. but Damien is just magical. I prefer what he does almost exclusivly over what anyone else does. He just seems to be able to push further, better. in ways that seem impossible to me. Now i want a C14 all over again Ouch. did you have to post this. that image is not only unbelivable. its also really really nice processing. Sorry guys. Damien is probably the worlds best, in so many ways. silly as it is to say that.

Don't know what's so silly -think your right Neil !

Incredible image but i suppose you wouldn't expect anything less from Damien, he is simply the best there is.

And what is about Selsey? It's only down the road but seems to be in a different world.

And what is about Selsey? It's only down the road but seems to be in a different world.

It might as well be off-world !!:icon_eek:

It might be worth getting a hold of his "Planetary Imaging tutorial"DVD if you've not seen it- XLNT !!

It would be interesting John hes processing routine.

But thats not it for me. as much as i love the processing. If i had that data on my pc. im sure i could present somthing similar. as you could.

Its the quality of the data, that is the mystery. Hes C14 must be a very good example. i do think they all vary somewhat. ( infact i belive most scopes do ) he basically had very calm seeing for the uk. and managed quite a long focal length with the flea 3. as far as i can tell thats it in a nutshell. the mystery is how he seems to consistently do this year after year. while others with similar equipment. seem to get close but just fall short slightly. The magic man.

Stunning image....

"Selsey benefits from the protection of the South Downs and the Isle of Wight and is well known for its mild micro-climate. It is a place where snow is an event and frost is usually kept at bay by the prevailing southwest wind".....

Also dragged up ... "Pete's Anti-Cloud Machine..

http://www.myreader.co.uk/message/601996.aspx

Peter...

One of those moments when I opened the link: SMACK! Like the first time you see a racing motorcycle on closed roads at the Isle of Man TT. You just think, No, I didn't see that. Not possible.

I know what you mean about the TT, Olly, My nephew raced there last year, and standing in pit lane with those 1000cc machines screaming past at 160mph not 10 feet from where I was standing was one of those "Saturn" moments! - sorry, going a bit off topic here

Being in email contact with Damian quite a lot I can tell you some things and answer some of your questions.

Damian has stated on several occassions that he is not interested in forum life and it should be noted that he is not a member of any public forum. There are lots of reasons for his thinking and that you have to respect.

Excellent seeing helps to produce excellent images. His processing techniques are a little different from the likes of Dave Tyler, Pete Lawrence, Don Parker, Anthony Wesley, Chris Go, Trevor Barry and myself just to name a few. Some of Anthony's images last year from Exmouth WA were the equal of any planetary imager on the planet ever. (google Bird's astronomy an look for 30 August under Jupiter). I have it on good authority from Damian that the seeing at Selsey is of a very high standard. With that in mind you can see why he gets a lot of crystal quality to his images. What most people think of as great seeing is in reality 7/10 at best. Perfect seeing is where the planet does not move at all during any colour run. Only seen that once in the last 7 years myself.

Damian is a collimation nut. I thought I was obsessive but he is way more than I am. If I got that sort of seeing most of the time I would be too. Good collimation is essential but fantastic collimation is always tough to get right.

Damians C14 is not hand picked. There is a rumour around the net that he hand picked his scope and this is simply not true. He got the same sort of selection that anyone else gets. You buy the scope and it rocks up at the supplier and you pick it up. All C14's that were made in the States were of a high calibre, these were hand figured in the final finish. I cannot state one way or the other regarding those made in China.

Damian like Don Parker has been at this game for a long time. I have been doing planetary imaging since 2004 but Damian has been at this since 1998. That is 13 years of practice and processing runs. It is little wonder why he is still at the top of his game.

So the next time you are wondering why he gets such great images just think about the above. Practice and persistence makes perfection.

I'd be remiss not to comment on this image here.....taken from the UK and not Barbados....! :icon_eek::icon_salut::rolleyes::icon_salut:

What an amazing shot, something for us "mere mortals" to aspire towards without any real hope of achieving...:D

I have long admired Damien's prowess as a peerless imager of the planets, and am pleased to see that a contributor to this thread has now modified his own appraisal of the "Great Man" whereby last year, in reply to my fulsome praise about Damien on another forum stated QUOTE: "All of us have made huge leaps in image quality that now the defining line is no longer clear cut. Some of ****'s images this year and the previous Mars apparition have been far superior to anything that Damian has produced ever." :D:D:lol::D

Bird (Anthony Wesley) would have to be considered a "Prince" in the planetary imaging ranks of course.....Paul is more likely correct on one point however - ie, Bird's Exmouth Jupiter .....but it was only one night, and despite his own outstanding record Anthony himself is in awe of Damien's works.....and also to my mind someone like Emil Kraikamp (MvZ) must surely be seen as an up & coming "peer of the realm," especially when taking into account the size of his scope etc.....

As for myself, I aspire but set my own levels...and can only hope that during any single apparition I am able to image to the best of my ability.....and that "ability" is able to be improved upon as time goes along* - I harbour no deluded notions of my own capabilities!:D

*as long as I can improve relatively rapidly, that is.....I ain't gettin' any younger!!!

Archived