Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL6 NIGHT SHOTS

JonH

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Same here But No4 is just outstanding and and looks like you caught somthing by the look of the trail. May i ask the stats of the photo Time and so on please?

Regs Andy

Hi Andy,

Firstly, Kev's right about the aircraft trails, although I did manage to catch a few faint meteors in some of my frames. I'm hoping to sell that particular shot and will probably take the trails out.

The camera is a Canon 1Ds MkIII and exposures are all 30 seconds @ ISO 800 and f2.8 or f4, depending on the lens. Shooting in extremely low light with a relatively high ISO and wide open apertures means I'm struggling with D of F and very noisy shadow areas. I do a lot of night photography in urban areas - street scenes and skylines, etc, but I found shooting in a dark field with very little ambient light a real challenge. :icon_eek:

Hi Andy,

The camera is a Canon 1Ds MkIII and exposures are all 30 seconds @ ISO 800 and f2.8 or f4, depending on the lens. Shooting in extremely low light with a relatively high ISO and wide open apertures means I'm struggling with D of F and very noisy shadow areas. I do a lot of night photography in urban areas - street scenes and skylines, etc, but I found shooting in a dark field with very little ambient light a real challenge. :icon_eek:

Thanks for the reply Jon is the photo raw at the moment or did it take some processing to get it to this? and finally what mount was it on please?

BTW all the shots are just wonderful but as endorsed by quite a few this one is way way out there as it as everything and all A1. I can personally see it selling for quite a sum. If not it would do really well in one of the photo repositories But then again once in a while a photo comes along that is just "that photo" and will run and run so much so that it can end up everywhere over and over. I think this may be one such photo. And think others will concur..

Andy

P.S. before anyone asks I am neither related to or connected to Jon in any way shape or form

Thanks for the reply Jon is the photo raw at the moment or did it take some processing to get it to this? and finally what mount was it on please?

BTW all the shots are just wonderful but as endorsed by quite a few this one is way way out there as it as everything and all A1. I can personally see it selling for quite a sum. If not it would do really well in one of the photo repositories But then again once in a while a photo comes along that is just "that photo" and will run and run so much so that it can end up everywhere over and over. I think this may be one such photo. And think others will concur..

Hi Andy - I always shoot in RAW and use a Really Right Stuff ball and socket head (best head I've ever owned) mounted on Gitzo carbon fiber legs. I can't remember the model number, the label rubbed off years ago and it's probably been updated by now anyway.

All the files needed quite a lot of processing to tease as much out of them as possible. This was done mainly using Curves adjustment layers to adjust lightness, contrast and colour to various degrees across the image. For example, the stars were selected and then lightened with a Curves layer to make them stand out more than in the original file.

I don't have much experience in shooting in such low light and, to be honest, I'm not completely happy with my processing of that particular pic and will re-do it along with most of the others at some stage. Most of my usual stuff is normally processed at least twice, however, with the first draft used as a handy visual reference for subsequent versions.

Thanks again for your kind comments, and no, I don't think we are related either! :icon_eek:

Cheers,

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
Wow John they are superb. I love the second to last the colours and sky are fantastic.

Philj

I agree and the fact that it catches a meteor trail is just lovely, if a touch lucky.

Unless it's an aircraft, in which case it's merely a lovely image!

Russell

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, I've looked at the piccies of SGL6 which answered my questions on what exactly a Star Party looks like.

So............ a Star Party could be described as 'tea, tents and telescopes' ................ cool.

:rolleyes:

Ok, I've looked at the piccies of SGL6 which answered my questions on what exactly a Star Party looks like.

So............ a Star Party could be described as 'tea, tents and telescopes' ................ cool.

:rolleyes:

You missed the important items: beer and jaffa cakes

Those shots are brilliant - especially number 4. If it wasn't such a long drive I would have been there.:(

I'll be going to the next one - I'll be happy to "pop round" and pick you up LB :)

Archived