SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New EP Advice (£350 budget)

As I have a little money left over to spend on my scope I've taken the advice to leave the Photography thing for a bit and get to know the skies a bit more. I want to get the best visuals I can with it and I imagine the way of doing this will be getting a couple of decent EP's.

Maybe a couple of Baader Hyperion EP's. They have a selection of them on 365astronomy for £92.40 each. There are also Baader Planeteriums at the same price. As I am almost clueless when it comes to EP's I want to get the best ones I can for the money.

I'm after 2, or if there is a really good zoom one for around that money that would probably interest me.

What two sizes should I be looking at for my scope? I'm hoping someone has a definite recommendation, I know a lot of this comes down to personal taste but I'm so inexperienced I don't even have my own taste yet.

As ever, your advice is paramount.:icon_eek:

i had a look through some hyperions and they are nice they seem to be good value for the price. some people .like the zoom lenses but the general consensus seems to be that seperate eyepieces are better

All depends on what EPs you've already got, whether you feel that there is a "gap" that needs filling in your existing set and exactly what sort of observing interests you most.

I'd be very tempted not to buy anything more for now, just use what you've got. With eyepiece time under your belt you'll know what needs replacing or what's missing.

After all, your Dob is f/5 so it'll be quite demanding of EPs and quality glass will work better at faster f-ratios and can be expensive. Best not to rush that kind of spend.

I'd be very tempted not to buy anything more for now, just use what you've got. With eyepiece time under your belt you'll know what needs replacing or what's missing.

After all, your Dob is f/5 so it'll be quite demanding of EPs and quality glass will work better at faster f-ratios and can be expensive. Best not to rush that kind of spend.

Wise words indeed. you have quite a large number of eyepieces, best to use them a while and soon you will get a feel for which one/two you use most.

These are the ones to replace first.

Or you might find that the ideal eyepiece is at a f length in between ones you own, so you can make a decision based on that.

Take your time the longer you take, the better your decision, the happier you will be.:icon_eek:

Regards Steve

Hi Geo

I my self love Tele Vue eyepieces and with Telescope House giving 20% dicount up to the 17th April 2011 but I am also looking at Sky at Night Magazine September 2010 #64 Group Test this was for eyepieces between 2.3mm to 5.5mm

and the over all winner was Orion Epic ED-2, 3.7mm 93%winner at £85.00 second place went to Baader Genuine Ottho 5mm with a score on 92% £76.00 remember price have gone up with the VAT Orion ED 5.1mm come in at 90% at £85.00

Meade 5.5mm with 89% price £63.00

Hope this helpsa bit

Doug

Essex

... Sky at Night Magazine September 2010 #64 Group Test this was for eyepieces between 2.3mm to 5.5mm and the over all winner was Orion Epic ED-2, 3.7mm 93% winner at £85.00 second place went to Baader Genuine Ottho 5mm with a score on 92% £76.00 remember price have gone up with the VAT Orion ED 5.1mm come in at 90% at £85.00

Meade 5.5mm with 89% price £63.00 ....

I would not put too much store in tests of this sort. The Baader Geniune Ortho is in a slightly different (optically better) league optically to the others in this group IMHO.

It probably lost points in the test for having a smaller field of view and tighter eye relief than the others but that is intrinsic to the orthoscopic design :icon_eek:

Optically, the others won't trouble the Baader, IMHO.

Archived