Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomik vs Hutech Light Pollution Filters?

Skuber

Apologies if this has been asked before:

I was looking at getting an Astronomik CLS CCD Light Pollution filter to aid in my astro imaging as I live on the outskirts of Edinburgh - the by-pass is just to the south of me and gives the sky a lovely orange glow...

In the course of my researches, I found that a lot of people consider the Hutech IDAS LPS filter to be the best in its class.

Looking at the prices of a 2" filter, I notice that the Hutech is only about £20 more than the Astronomik.

So now I can't make up my mind! :icon_eek:

Has anyone compared the two? Which do you think is the better?

Also, crucially, does the Hutech include an IR cut like the CCD version of the Astronomik CLS filter?

Many thanks,

Simon

It depends upon the the type of light pollution you have ...

I have both the Hutech and Astronomik filters and a few more.. my filter of choice for my old fashioned low pressure sodium LP (orange) is the Hutech IDAS P2

The IDAS has both UV and IR cut...

Thanks for the info - I'll check that link.

I'm pretty sure the main source of light pollution near me is the older orange lamps.

There is some of the newer streetlamps to the North, but my view North is blocked by houses...

the HGutech is pretty good alround and is my fav filter... I have 2 of them one in 2" for the scopes and the other is the slimline 1.25" in camera one for Canon DSLR's...

For galaxies and starfields it give much better colour balance...

The Astronomik is a harsher filter and is now relegated to 3rd camera duty...

Billy...

Wow, he has some nice pictures doesn't he :icon_eek:

Yep and a bunch were taken from Aberdeen Astronomical Society's Dark Sky Site in Mid-Mar using his Canon DSLR and Hutech IDAS filter.

Thanks for all of your replies :icon_eek:

I've got another small question regarding the Hutech filters - I notice that there's a v2 and a V4 version available - which is better?

Looking at the spectra, it looks like the v4 lets through much less light, so it might need a longer exposure?

V2 is a general light pollution filter (allow all, block specific wavelengths from known LP sources), the v4 is more of a UHC type filter (blocks all except the specific narrowband wavelengths)

You should also consider the Orion skyglow filter - I also live in Edinburgh, with the bypass to my south (we must live near each other.....) and use the Orion filter and it works a treat and being a Scotsman.... the fact that it's quite a bit cheaper than the brands you mention here ahd nothing to do with it!!!

Thanks again for the info guys - sounds like the V2 could be the one for me :rolleyes:

Blinky, I live at Fairmilehead right by the dry ski slope - I have to wait for them to turn their lights off in the evening before I can see anything at all! :icon_eek:

I personally just ordered the V4 filter. It seems to be more designed to pass the light I want rather than to block the light I don't want. The H-alpha bandwidth is a bit narrower for this one than the V2. My aim is to use this primarily for nebula photos.

I personally just ordered the V4 filter. It seems to be more designed to pass the light I want rather than to block the light I don't want. The H-alpha bandwidth is a bit narrower for this one than the V2. My aim is to use this primarily for nebula photos.

Not sure you fully understand the difference between the two filters. Your comment about "The H-alpha bandwidth is a bit narrower for this one than the V2" shows this. The V2 is in no way a narrowband filter, it will not allow you to image H-Alpha better. It just blocks what you dont need to see and allow everything else. Its a light pollution filter, nothing more. If you just want the narrowband with a colour camera, the V4 is the way to go, but do not compare the V2 and the V4 for the same job, they are wildly different in their intended use.

• 1 month later...

Archived