SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SkyWatcher 150P explorer or Skywatcher 130P SynScan AZ GOTO?? Help!

Hi, I am a newbie and I am looking for my 1st telescope. I am keeping my eyes peeled for a second hand one but I do not know which one to go for! I got some great advice on here to go for the Skywatcher Explorer 150P but I don't know if a GOTO mount would be helpful to help me find and track things in the sky! As my budget is around £160-200 I am looking at these 2. What do you guys think I should go for? They are both exactly the same price new on FLO and I just wondered what people think of the Skywatcher 130P SynScan AZ GOTO as a beginner telescope. Would it be better for me to get the better telecope or better mount? I have limited knowledge of the sky,

Thanks! :icon_eek:

the 150p will show you more thats for sure but the 130p isn't a bad tube i use a goto as find it hard to navigate very light polluted skies. goto's are very frustrating at first but eventually it all clicks. the other advantage of the 150p is you can get some short exposures if you want to photo anything the 130p synscan can't take a camera except for pics of the moon athough it will take a webcam better for imaging planets

Hi Lana,

Have you considered a Dobsonian? Simple and easy to set up, intuitive to use. Importantly you get more bang for your buck as all your money goes on optics.

The Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian gives you more aperture than either of the other two for the same price.

The only downside could be lack of GoTo. Don't know how important that is to you, depends on how you want to learn your way round the night sky.

I suppose size and portability might be another issue. Try and get to see one "in-the-flesh", before you buy, to answer that one. True for any 'scope really.

HTH :icon_eek:

Archived