Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Frustrating

Hi,

I've been waiting for my new 15 x 70 bins for over a month due to courier problems which I wont bore you with nowl. Anyway last night was pretty clear so I got them out for the first time. TBH a bit of a mixed reation.

One the plus side I saw saturns rings and some stars in Bootes which I would nt have seen with 10 x 50 bins,

One the negative side the tripod I have just isnt good enough to hold the bins properly and everything shakes,even when I use it sitting down as a monpad. In fact if I'm honest I spent 5 minutes looking at Arcturus thinking it was Saturn and convining myself that I could see rings , when in fact it was only blurred vision caused by shaking.

In addition I felt that I have to spend a lot of time focusing so when I looked at a star field I have to keep changing the focus to see everything which I found frustrating compared to using 10 x 50 which I didnt have to adjust half as much.

More importantly than that I have a very slight but noticable pain in my eyes even thoough I adjusted them and used them perfectly wel lin daylight.

Really in 2 minds whether to return then ( bearing in mind the problems I;ve had before with the shop and the fact that there is nothing wrong with the bins ) , or to persevere with then and hope that this is a learning curve,

What does everyone else think ?

I've not completely enjoyed the step up from 10x50 bins either. I have 20x90s which are great in themselves, but in use with a tripod I find them uncomfortable, shaky and occasionally downright dangerous. (being smacked on the head by a pair of big bins was always pretty low down on my astronomical wishlist).

My tripod is the Horizon 8115 which is well regarded, but I don't believe any tripod will ever quite replace the joy and simplicity of hand-holding.

Having said all that I would definitely give your binoculars another couple of nights. Sometimes things just seem become easier over time. I'm keeping my 20x90s and hoping to hit on a method of using them that I'm happy with.

Tim

Thanks wendy - I think I'll persevere for a while but I think I'll buy some more 10 x 50 - they just seem more fun !

Hobbes its the tripod is a Hama star 61 - it was only 12 quid from Amazon so I cant cmplain too much but I am suprised just how unstable they are

Blurred vision because of shaking? I can understand your frustration especially since it was your first night out with the binos. Pain in your eyes? They deserve another chance before returning them but I'd be close to sending them back myself.

Isabelle

I have recently experienced a nightmare with a non heavy duty tripod and I understand your frustrations as you do spend half the time battling with the tripod. I half convinced myself I didn't need to spend the money on a heavy duty tripod until I spent a few nightmare evenings with a pants one - it ruined everything for me.

I started out using a lightweight tripod that my wife already had for her photography but have now splashed out on a heavy duty one - worth every penny.

Bet your poor wife is pleased to get her toys back

She is, although as she has just started working again after a number of years loking after the children she has had to lay off the photography for a bit.

I think she is rather regretting encouraging me to get into Astronomy but the genie is out of the bottle now and there is no going back :icon_eek:

She will enjoy it when she gets quiet time when you are out and she wants control of the tv remote - my husband loves it as he can watch rugby and footie in peace

In addition I felt that I have to spend a lot of time focusing so when I looked at a star field I have to keep changing the focus to see everything

Yo shouldn't have to do that. If they are not holding focus, you ought to return them.

More importantly than that I have a very slight but noticable pain in my eyes even thoough I adjusted them and used them perfectly wel lin daylight.
The night sky is a much more severe test of binoculars than is daylight. A possible cause of eye-pain is poor collimation; your eyes can compensate for some miscollimation, but it tires them to do so.
What does everyone else think ?
I think you've answered your questions yourself. You didn't enjoy them; you preferred your 10x50...

I have a binocular evaluation page here. You might find it useful either to check out the one you have, or to help choose another. In particular, try the tests for vertical and lateral displacement -- they may reveal the source of your eye pain.

Hi thunderbird, some good advice has been given already, Steve (tetenterre), has advised in the past on this kind of thing, I took it myself when asking about the 20x90's I own, being unfamiliar with binoculars of that size and weight I felt it best to ask here on the forum.

Weight is a big factor, thus as good a tripod as you can afford is the best option, that should help to keep them in position with minimal wobble, of course you can spend a huge amount on extras so it is a bit of a compromise deciding how far to go, my bins were quite expensive but the kit I bought to hold them was half as much again.

Good luck with yours :icon_eek:

Yo shouldn't have to do that. If they are not holding focus, you ought to return them.

The night sky is a much more severe test of binoculars than is daylight. A possible cause of eye-pain is poor collimation; your eyes can compensate for some miscollimation, but it tires them to do so.

I think you've answered your questions yourself. You didn't enjoy them; you preferred your 10x50...

I have a binocular evaluation page here. You might find it useful either to check out the one you have, or to help choose another. In particular, try the tests for vertical and lateral displacement -- they may reveal the source of your eye pain.

Thanks I'll try this out this week !

Archived