Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Equipment needed to image...

Stryda

Hello, ok so I've been doing imaging...albeit crude...for a year or so now. I have a meade 8" lx10, and a canon 50d camera. At the moment, I'm using these two for prime focus imaging. However, the tracking isnt great on my mount, and i usually have to check the image on the camera for drift after every image taken. So...my tracking is miles off and I cant really stack images because of this. I'm just wondering exactly what else I will need to correct this?

A) Buy a new mount with good tracking? eq5 etc...

:icon_eek: buy a guidescope to help track

C) buy a guidescope with guidecam to help track

D) any other suggestions?

How much would it cost for a half decent guide camera? Can you use webcams as guidecams at all? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hello, ok so I've been doing imaging...albeit crude...for a year or so now. I have a meade 8" lx10, and a canon 50d camera. At the moment, I'm using these two for prime focus imaging. However, the tracking isnt great on my mount, and i usually have to check the image on the camera for drift after every image taken. So...my tracking is miles off and I cant really stack images because of this. I'm just wondering exactly what else I will need to correct this?

A) Buy a new mount with good tracking? eq5 etc...

:icon_eek: buy a guidescope to help track

C) buy a guidescope with guidecam to help track

D) any other suggestions?

How much would it cost for a half decent guide camera? Can you use webcams as guidecams at all? Any help is greatly appreciated.

What scope will you use for imaging? If you are thinking about de-forking the SCT then the long focal length will demand a very accurate mount.

As for guiding, you can use a slightly modified finderscope with a QHY5 camera (£180 for the cam, £30 for an adapter, £30 for a 2nd hand finderscope). Some people have used modified webcams for guiding...I tried but it didn't work for me. learning guiding AND working out how to get the best from a webcam was too much for me!

Honest answer, forget the Meade for imaging. It will lead you a merry old dance as you try to get it to perform and in the end a rethink now would be easier and cheaper. It will be most unlikely to track accurately whatever you do and if you defork it you lose its value as an LX10 (nice visual scope) and still have an OTA that is far from ideal for imaging. (Over long FL, mirror shift, vignetting, need for focal reducer, need for aftermarket Crayford...)

I would suggest small fast refractor on HEQ5 Pro or NEQ6. I threw lots of cash and effort at a fork SCT and gave up in the end.

Olly

Honest answer, forget the Meade for imaging. It will lead you a merry old dance as you try to get it to perform and in the end a rethink now would be easier and cheaper. It will be most unlikely to track accurately whatever you do and if you defork it you lose its value as an LX10 (nice visual scope) and still have an OTA that is far from ideal for imaging. (Over long FL, mirror shift, vignetting, need for focal reducer, need for aftermarket Crayford...)

I would suggest small fast refractor on HEQ5 Pro or NEQ6. I threw lots of cash and effort at a fork SCT and gave up in the end.

Olly

^^very much this^^

Pick up a 2nd hand ED80 or similar if the budget is tight. I sourced one for £110....OK it was a bit tatty, so I refreshed it by stripping the tube and spraying it. A replacement 10:1 focuser (£69 from Modern Astronomy) made it into a great little scope.

Archived