Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

APO Refractor for visual use

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys,

Well i have been thinking and going through all of your replies most of the day and at times it was a bit overwhelming but like jahmanson said "Still the OP has had plenty of feedback so more to help make a choice, which is good".

brianb - "But the OP has a 5" Mak ... given that, there's a lot to be said for a high quality short focus 70-80mm scope for rich field views ... the difference in bulk / weight / field of view between a 80mm f/6 scope and a 100mm f/7 scope is considerable."

Russ - "the scope i would most want as a visual scope however would be the Skywatcher Evostar 80ED with it's F7.5 focal ratio and superior optics to the Megrez 72."

Having nearly decided on a 100mm refractor, it was a few posts that suggested the refractor will give very similar views to my 5" Mak and also that the 100mm refractor will be fairly large and it was these thoughts that stopped me purchasing one earlier.

So i have an 8" dob (or will have when FLO sends it) i have the Skymax 127 SupaTrak Mak, which i was going to replace with the 100mm APO but as performance is about the same and the APO is larger i have now decided to keep the Mak, but to add a small 80mm APO which is quick to setup, fast to cool down so i can take advantage if there is a break in the clouds for quick viewing sessions and also something that packs away and is suitable for our caravan trips away.

I have placed my order with Opticstar LTD for the following:

1. Skywatcher AZ4 Alt-Az Mount with steel legs.

2. Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro Outfit.

£615.00 Delivered.

And just to say a big thank you for everyone who took the time to post and reply to my questions as all of your advice was extremely helpful in leading to my final decision. :rolleyes:

BTW FLO this spending spree is partly your fault because you still have not sent my dob, i am going crazy waiting :icon_eek:

Gaz

Well brian you only live once and you can't take it with you, fortunately i sold my motorbike which i had for leisurely days out not long after i took up astronomy, as i had only done about 150 miles on it in the previous 6 months and it was just sitting there in the garage, not much left in the pot now though. :icon_eek:

Well brian you only live once and you can't take it with you, fortunately i sold my motorbike which i had for leisurely days out not long after i took up astronomy, as i had only done about 150 miles on it in the previous 6 months and it was just sitting there in the garage, not much left in the pot now though. :rolleyes:

my thoughts exactly Gaz. :D

Wish I had not read all of this thread its got me thinking about a 80ed too, I have recently had the pleasure of having a look though one and I thought the views delivered were superb, like yoursef I would want one for visual use only :icon_eek:

Excellent setup Gaz. It will compliment your other scopes nicely with no overlaps.

I did actually write, but later deleted, that i was at a loss as to why i bought my last ED100. It was bettered by the 8" dob on everything except double stars and the dob was quicker to setup too. And you have the 200P dob also. :icon_eek:

Thanks Russ and it was with yours and the others help that i decided to keep the Mak and buy the 80ED as in the end it seemed pointless selling the Mak and replacing it with a refractor that would give very similar views and also the size was not so grab n go, so in the end i think i have made the right choice based on the scopes i already have. :icon_eek:

@ Dave - Now i see why they say the 100ED is not so much grab n go, 1 metre long :D:icon_eek:

I am sure i will end up with a refractor, but 80, 90 or 100mm still needs some serious thought, as i like the sound of the ED100 for it's viewing being similar to that of my Mak, but it is huge at 1m long,

Gaz :rolleyes:

hi

The 100ED is as grab and go as you like, really. 1 metre long is'nt that long to be honest and easy to mount up on your own. The OTA is really light and when stored in the supplied aluminium case along with the other accessories, it's easily moved around and more importantly safe. Fits snugly in the car boot and just leaves you the tripod and mount to lug around.

I got the EQ3-2 for my 100ED which is just fine but I guess if you are looking at imaging you will be looking at EQ5 and above.

I've never had a look throught the 80ED but comparing to a newt and dob I was pleased with the sharpness of Saturn in my 'little frac'

Woking - I am sure it is portable, i was just trying to talk myself out of buying the ED100 and that is the excuse i came up with.

Mark - I was too new to the hobby to attend SGL6 as i have not found my feet yet, but SGL7 may suit me better.

Woking - I am sure it is portable, i was just trying to talk myself out of buying the ED100 and that is the excuse i came up with.

ah apologies:D

I originally was looking at a 120 frac but after seeing one decided against it as I really needed portable. Was even a little concerned about the 100ED hence going for eq3-2 but was pleasantly surpised how portable and easy to set up it is.

There's another thread 80ED vs 100ED which would be more useful comparison. Unfortunately one review was that the 100ED being too slow for DSO and not as good as others for planets, so apparently does neither well........bit unfair and I feel sorry for my poor frac now:)

Don't worry mate there will always be people who like it and people who don't that's what makes us human.

I have only heard good things about the SW 100ED and if you have read all this post you will only hear good things being said about it.

I really wanted the ED100 but i have only just bought a 5" Mak and was informed that the views would be very similar, so it was either sell my Mak or buy a smaller refractor, so i bought the SW 80ED as i want them all, lol.

Hi guys, well me Evostar 80ED Pro and the skywatcher AZ4-2 mount arrived today, feels just like christmas as a kid :icon_eek:

One thing i would like to ascertain is regarding the dovetail bar with the OTA tube rings mounted to it, looking at the bar from the rear there is a nut and 2 allen key screws at each end which attach directly to the tube rings, now i noticed that the allen key screws were finger loose and upon checking the tightness of the nut this was far from tight, i have tightened up the nut first and then both of the allen key screws until tight but not over tight, my brain tells me that this is right but i am just checking incase the allen key screws were fairly loose for a reason? So tighten them all up?

Cheers

ah apologies:D

There's another thread 80ED vs 100ED which would be more useful comparison. Unfortunately one review was that the 100ED being too slow for DSO and not as good as others for planets, so apparently does neither well........bit unfair and I feel sorry for my poor frac now:)

No reason to feel sorry for the frac, he knows he's a great scope :icon_eek: Maybe deemed a little slow at F9 dso imaging but still very capable. And it's a great planetary instrument.

I am sure i will end up with a refractor, but 80, 90 or 100mm still needs some serious thought, as i like the sound of the ED100 for it's viewing being similar to that of my Mak, but it is huge at 1m long, then the 80mm Equinox sounds a good performer possibly more so for imaging over the Evostar, then i come back to the WO Megrez 90 maybe it is a good compromise between the other two, but i know jahmanson had one of these and got rid of it for a 100mm, ARGH :icon_eek:

For what its worth I have a Megrez 90, if any of my scopes had to go it wouldnt be this one.

Paraman, I was just reading your post and i thought that is weird, his post sounds exactly like one i posted further up in this thread. And he is asking about a 80, 90 or 100mm refractor saying "I am sure i will end up with a refractor" and finally he states he already has a WO Megrez 90 :D

After reading is 2 or 3 times it became clear that it was my post but not in a quote box and you are just stating that the Megrez 90 is a top bit of kit :rolleyes:

What can i say it is 2am and i am cream crackered.

Being honest any of the 80, 90 or 100mm refractors discussed in this thread would satisfy anyone but the hardest critic from what i can gather.

My SW Evostar 80ED Pro arrived this afternoon and it got it's first light earlier tonight on the crescent moon, i was using my 13mm Nagler which gave me 46x and all i can say is WOW! I have never seen the moon like that before and it was an unreal kind of feeling being able to see the craters so clearly, it looks as if an artist has gone to work carving on a clay ball.

Just as an idea, as it's the holiday setup i had. You could marry the Megrez 72 with the Tele-Optic Giro III Mini and a proper sturdy photo tripod. Works like a charm and is truly portable to the extreme.

This is my exact travel set up. The mini Giro is a recent addition, having just used the photo tripod head previously (which worked to an extent, but the mini Giro is better). The Megrez 72 fits nicely into a hand luggage sized case (I have a Peli 1500) whilst the tripod can fit into a suitcase and go in the aircraft's hold. I've taken this type of set-up to Majorca in the past and with reasonable skies you can see quite a lot, despite the less than 3 inches of aperture. The Megrez also makes a great spotting scope too.

Hope that helps.

Martin

I second Marks suggestion. I have an ED102 F7 and its my most used scope. Visual and imaging, it does both very well. A nice combo of apeture and compact size, makes a great grab and go, I use it frequently on my giro altaz. Also they are still at a very good price.

Philj

Hope you have fun with it. I use the Nagler 3-6mm zoom eyepiece and its truly an amazing Lunar EP when on my 80mm refractor.

Looking at the alpine region and crater Plato is a sight to behold.

"i like the sound of the ED100 for it's viewing being similar to that of my Mak, but it is huge at 1m long",

...so you think an ED 100 is huge???

no, this is huge...lol :):p:D:eek:

6" 150mm F12 refractor, had the hernias to prove it:hello2:

post-16698-133877562681_thumb.jpg

Archived