SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Any Advice for Newcomer Please?

Hi Everyone,

I have always loved looking up at the sky and could easily spend hours just watching the stars. When I was young I really wanted a telescope but the prices were just too much and my parents just thought it was something I would use once then never again,

Now I am older I would love to buy myself one and really take a good look into space.

I am a complete beginner but I am trying to read up and learn the basic's.

Can anyone suggest any beginners tips or beginners telescopes I can read up on?

Many Thanks!

Ryan.

Hello ryan welcome to sgl, a little information on your budget, what sort of things you want to look at, where you intend to use it, how portable does it need to be, whether you want to image or not automated or not. while you are thinking of these things read the stickies they may help crystallise some ideas for you. probably the only advice I would happily give at the moment is get yourself down to a local astro club and get a look at and through some scopes before you buy

Im looking to spend around £150-£250,

I'm not looking for an automated one as yet as I would like to adjust the telescope myself,

I have got double doors to the garden from my bedroom so I don't mind if the scope is large.

Whats the Pro's and con's between Refractors and Reflector?

im going out on a limb here (without your budget)

i could recommend these on review

AZ GOTO - Skywatcher Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO

AZ GOTO - Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P SynScan AZ GOTO

if you want to learn the sky yourself and just "aint that bothered" with GOTO

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P

or bigger

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2

I would agree with nicnac on the dob being the best they can be a little awkward at first but with a little practise they are very easy to use. they are not so hot as eq mounts on planets if looking under high mag but they are quicker and easier to set up. the 150p dob would be a very good scope for a beginner

The 200P would be great on a dobsonain mount for a first scope. You can kit it out with a setting circle and Wixey for under £30 and take co-ordinates directly from Stellarium or Cartes du Ciel for accurate pointing. If you have budget for it then you'll love it :icon_eek:

Ive been reading about different pro's and con's with Reflector, Refractors and Dobsonians and how paying that bit extra will be worth it.

What Ive always enjoyed doing is looking up at the stars, when were out and about walking to the next pub, my friends laugh because i just find looking at the stars so interesting and amazing.

I think its time i bought myself a nice scope.

Do you have suggestions for a good beginners scope? Im happy with adjusting the scope myself, I will enjoy it more. I just dont want to buy a scope then be desperate for more

hi ryan I think your suggestion for the skywatcher 200p is a good idea unless you need a scope to be portable biggest is best get it on the dob mount its cheaper that way and download this planetarium programme free to help you find your way around

Stellarium

We're always going to be wanting more, be it more aperture, capable mounts, eyepieces, cameras, filters....you name it :rolleyes:

I have a 200P dobsonian and I think it's simple and straightforward to use, gives great views of just about everything I want to look at (lunar, planets, double stars...oh, everything really) and I can upgrade it / improve it as I want to.

The Ford Transit of the telescope world :icon_eek:

A dob (short for dobsonion) is a simple and cheap alt/ az mount the scope you put on it is a newtonion reflector. the mount is usually made of mdf or wood and treated to resist damp. it consists of a turntable base and a simple pivot for up and down. It sounds cheap and nasty but buying a newtonion on a dobsonion base is the most cost effective way of getting a large apparture. A scopes price is divided into 3 parts optics, mount and electronics, so by foregoing the electronics and an eq mount more of your money is spent on the optics hence; a bigger scope for less money.

Archived