Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focus problems or just inexperience ??

Hi all,

We had a fairly clear night yesterday, so was out from 9pm for a few hours.

Anyhow this is my second go at Saturn, but I just don't know understand why the focusing seems to be so off.

Last night, I tried capturing with webcam (Phillips 900) using both SharpCap & Phillips VLounge, and also my Canon 7D (using Backyard EOS).

Have been messing most of very late last night & today, trying to get a decent image of them, but not very successful. The webcam images (once put through Registack) are (I think) worse than this one.

This one was taken with my camera, through a 20mm eye piece, single picture.

Is this just lots lots more practice I need, or doing something horribly wrong ???

Thank you all for reading & any advice / pointers ........

Test-1-help.jpg

I would say poor seeing is the problem. I too was out last night and seeing was very unstable making focusing very hard. Your single shot image looks quite normal for poor conditions. Collimation may also be a factor. Webcam imaging is tricky at first unless seeing is very steady. Just a matter of moving the focuser back and forth until you settle on the best looking focus. Without seeing your webcam images its difficult to be more specific.

Archived